Can I Upgrade The RAM Memory Myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know very little about computers. My Acer Aspire T120E desktop with Xp has only 256 Mb of RAM. After adding a few programmes its getting very slow.

Can I increase the memory myself, or would I be better getting in an expert?

Sponsored Links
It's fairly simple. Just switch the PC off and unplug it before you start.

This tells you what you need:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Aspire T120E

DDR PC3200, up to two 1GB modules. Crucial has given me good service but there's no real difference between their RAM and anybody else's. Shopping around could save a few pounds.

Inside the PC there are two slots that will only take memory and it will only fit one way round. You may need to move some other components or cables in order to get at the RAM slots - if so, I recommend plenty of pictures so that you can put it all back afterwards.

There is a plastic clip at each end of the RAM slot. Push these outwards and then slot the RAM straight in. As it clicks home the catches will be pushed iwards to hold it. Don't over-force it as there is a locator key offset from the centre of the module to stop it being inserted backwards.

To remove a RAM module just push the catches outwards and then lift the memory out of the slot.

Take reasonable precautions against static while handling the components - I usually make sure I've touched a radiator or something before picking them up, but really you should use an anti-static wrist strap.

This task should only be attempted by trained proffessionals. Such as the Tech Guys in PC World.

Sponsored Links
This task should only be attempted by trained proffessionals. Such as the Tech Guys in PC World.

:LOL:

Now that is funny... on the odd occasion I've been in to that establishment I've always struggled to find anyone that knows anything worthwhile about PC's

All they are bothered about is telling you you need more CPU and More Ram for doing bugger all. A friend of mine went in and was told he needed a twin dual core desktop pc with 4gb of ram and XP x64... all he wanted it for was word processing and the odd bit of browsing. needless to say I saved him the £1k and slung together an old machine with nothing like that spec and it is still more than adequate now, some 3 years on..BTW it is a PIII 1ghz with 1gb ram with all the themes disabled and he loves it.

Ram is easy to do, just remember to switch it off and replace with / upgrade with compatible ram.

As has already been said Crucial has a good tool for advising you what you need.

HTH

Agreed, but if you aren't sure, then find someone who is, know any mates who can help?

But before you put any PC into any repair shop make sure you are certain what the Computer contains, I sent my old medion 3.4GHz back under gaurantee ,they renewed the HDD but helped them selves to the extra 2GB of memory I fitted previously myself.
Luckily I checked before and after and had a print out of my system spec to confront them with.

Fitting ram is lemonsqueezy

I use Mr Memory as my supply- they have real telehones and tend not to oversell.

mrmemory.co.uk

I know very little about computers. My Acer Aspire T120E desktop with Xp has only 256 Mb of RAM. After adding a few programmes its getting very slow.

Can I increase the memory myself, or would I be better getting in an expert?

No you can't, get an expert. Normally anyone can, but in this case no, seek help. As you did.

RAM is really easy to replace / install, particularly with the above advice, infact it's probably a great way to increase your confidence with this kind of thing, maybe you'll be saving money in the future making home builds it can be quite fun!

It's not difficult! You can find guides about this problem in the Internet! Good luck!

I've used Crucial a few times and they were always bang on with their advice. There can be a risk of damage from static. Personally, I just work with the computer on my lap. I find that 512 MB is too little for XP. 1 GB is OK and 2 GB is better.

Sponsored Links
Back