Should I Upgrade From Int. Explorer 6.0 to 8.0??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MSN are offering a free upgrade download for I.E. 8.0. My system is an Acer Aspire desktop (256 Ram) with XP.

Is it worth upgrading from my present 6.0? What difference will it make? Do I have to have the toolbar that comes with it - I'd rather stay with the original?

Apologies if these are dumb questions!

Sponsored Links
Erm Internet Explorer is free with a Windows Operating system as Bill was kind enough to bundle it with all his OS's. IE8 is OK simmilar to IE7 really. I'd go with something like Firefox, much better.

Another vote for Firefox, especially as you can try this out without overwriting IE. Install it and then take a look at the add-ons available which is where it really comes into its own. Cooliris is a good one (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5579).

If you do stick with IE definitely upgrade from 6 as this dates back to 2001 and the web has moved on. Most sites retain compatibility with 6 but are best used on something more recent.

MSN are offering a free upgrade download for I.E. 8.0. My system is an Acer Aspire desktop (256 Ram) with XP.

Is it worth upgrading from my present 6.0? What difference will it make? Do I have to have the toolbar that comes with it - I'd rather stay with the original?

Apologies if these are dumb questions!

Answer - Yes you should - always advisable to keep up with latest updates and hopefully better security.

But also consider installing :
Opera, World Browser, Firefox, Lunascape (which is a hybrid browser)
Most will import your IE settings. May have to reinstall some of the tool bar features.

Sponsored Links
I've upgraded to IE8 and its blisteringly fast, well pleased i did :D

I am not a fan of IE and haven't been for a long time. I have tried IE8 and found it to be just like an older Firefox.

I haven't been using firefox either as it has a little bug in it that means it slowly ticks up on the Virtual Memory and if you have it on for over an hour it slows your computer right down

I would try Googles Chrome I think its the best alternative to until they fix Firefox.

I've upgraded to IE8 and its blisteringly fast, well pleased i did :D

I've upgraded all my computers to IE8 this weekend. Very impressed so far and have got rid of Firefox, even though I had little or no problems with it.

Spoke too soon :mad:

My main office PC keeps getting IE is not responding :rolleyes:

Gone back to Firefox 3.0.9 ;)

Spoke too soon :mad:

My main office PC keeps getting IE is not responding :rolleyes:

Gone back to Firefox 3.0.9 ;)
Perhaps some leftover from firefox interfering with the IE install? wouldnt be the first time that different software writers make it awkward for a user to change.

I have to say ive been using IE8 a while now and am very pleased with it, thats not to say others may not have problems with it but so far touch wood its behaved impeccably.

Sponsored Links
Back