Swapping HD from one laptop to another - drivers issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had been using a Hi-Grade laptop which ran on Windows ME, it had been working perfectly all these years until last week it decided to pack up, I have many important accounts files on this HD and these files are not exportable to Microsoft office or similar, they were created using a Mini-Office by Europress software, I used its spread sheet mostly which ends with a file extension .MSS, it did excellent job for making invoices, accounts etc served me well without any problems

Now it seems my mother board has failed, it won't power up and 3 or 4 leds blink and goes off and nothing there after.

I had been given a spare DELL Latitude D600 by a friend for free, which had Windows XP, but problem is I cannot install Mini Office on this as I have mislaid or lost my original disc, but if I simply copy and paste Mini-Office folders and package it does not work as it should, I really need to install Mini-Office.

On the other hand, I thought what if i simply swapp the HD from Hi-Grade to Dell and it might work and I won't have to worry about installing Mini-Office.

I tried this, as soon as booted Dell with HD from hi-Grade, it went through a series of actions requiring clicking on a NEXT button to install drivers for new hardware found by Windows ME,
I kept clicking next and so on and the Dell would then ask for restart to install new drivers, I did this for various devices, finally after about 10 minutes and about half a dozen restarts, Dell booted up nicely in Windows ME, the windows ME screen came on in usual high resolution, but as soon as it goes past this screen when all the DeskTop icons appear, they are big and in very low resolution, I went to control panel to adjust screen resolution, it is running as a PC screen at 16 Colours and 480x 960 pixels, and has no other option to choose 16K or 64K colours but just 16 colours, so I spoke to a friend who said I will need to download video graphics drivers from Dell Computers for running Windows ME on this Latitude D600, i went there but could not find video graphics drivers.

Any ideas what I can do to continue to use Mini-Office in high resolution.

Mini Office still opens well, and all my folders show up exactly as they should and all data is there and i can use the package as it is but now i can only see half the spread sheet instead of the full page and I have to scroll left to right and top to bottom. The window will not shrink or reduce in size to show as a full page, this package does not have magnifier feature.

Appreciate your help and spending fair amount of time reading through my post. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Any ideas what I can do to continue to use Mini-Office in high resolution.
Realistically - nothing.

Windows ME drivers for any semi-recent computer simply won't exist, ME was a short lived product only available for about 12 months before being replaced with XP 15 years ago.
With no installation disc, there is no possibility of installing the software. Even if you found it, you may find it doesn't work properly or at all on modern Windows.

As the software miraculously still works in some fashion, the only option is to save/export those files you actually need in some format that can be used by modern software and transfer those to a new computer before the 16+ year old hard drive fails permanently.

I managed to download windows 2000 drivers, which sure must be pretty nearest to ME, or even windows 1998 drivers, trouble is I am no good at choosing which drivers to load, some devices (hardware) have like 7 or 8 different drivers, like for instance, the CD rom (or actually it is a 4x DVD drive) and has several different drivers, as I am not able to go on the internet with the actual laptop, so Dell's site cannot determine what devices I have , so i am using my HP laptop to receive download and it is not easy, already what I assumed was the driver i needed for my Dell high resolution screen has backfired on me, such that now my Dell won't even boot up in normal mode, but in safe mode luckily it can still boot, I have asked a mate who should be able to download and load up necessary drivers today later on.
I am sure most IT experts should be able to resolve such issues which I believe should be easier for them.

But thanks for looking into this, and of course that is what i will be doing try to use some kind of file converter and have these accounts files preserved for any future reference. cheers.

I managed to download windows 2000 drivers, which sure must be pretty nearest to ME, or even windows 1998 drivers,
Windows 2000 is a variant of NT, as are all modern Windows. ME is based on the older Windows 98/95 etc. so drivers for 2000 will be useless for ME.

Windows 98 drivers might work, but although ME was based on 98 and earlier versions it had a number of substantial changes which may cause incompatibility.
ME is a dead end, the last of it's kind.

Sponsored Links
Flameport thank you for your information and help, I got someone who works as an IT technician, he said he would try and come over this evening after his work to try and implement compatible screen driver, which should work and restore my screen resolution aND also boot up properly in normal mode. In the mean time I have also ordered a Mini-office disc by Europress software, one going sale on ebay. It is all to do with preserving old business records, as none of these files are exporatbel in any format other than csv.

Just updating, that IT tech could not implement drivers for ME, as DELL website does not support drivers for ME. So having tried Win 2000 drivers they did not work and he tried a few others and none worked. However, for some strange reason I was under the impression that all was lost, but Windows XP managed to open Mini-Office files using Mini Office package, so all is working well so far and I need not bother with ME.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Back