Laptop keeps switching off.

The fan should start up, part of its diagnostics, then shut down until forced cooling is needed.

It sounds like over heating - maybe download a utility which shows the component temperatures. 'Speed Fan' is one such utility.

I know they can them laptops, but on your knee is not good, if that is how you use it? The cooling vents become blocked and they draw dust in. Better is to have it on a board, on your knee. I use mine on a bit of 5mm ply, which I cut to size. I also blow the vents through regularly, outside, using my compressor.

I've downloaded Speedfan do I need to do anything or does it run automatically? I have an icon on the desktop but there are no instructions as to how to use it.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The fan should start up, part of its diagnostics, then shut down until forced cooling is needed.

It sounds like over heating - maybe download a utility which shows the component temperatures. 'Speed Fan' is one such utility.

I know they can them laptops, but on your knee is not good, if that is how you use it? The cooling vents become blocked and they draw dust in. Better is to have it on a board, on your knee. I use mine on a bit of 5mm ply, which I cut to size. I also blow the vents through regularly, outside, using my compressor.

I've downloaded Speedfan do I need to do anything or does it run automatically? I have an icon on the desktop but there are no instructions as to how to use it.
Thanks.

Thanks.

It has been a few years since I used it, so I had to download it and look. Click on the icon, a panel should then pop up. Give it a few seconds to auto-configure itself to your systems hardware, then on the panel it should show you your laptop components internal temperatures.

Mine shows three items HD0=36C; GPU= 56C ; CORE(CPU) =52C Those temperatures are absolutely fine, but start playing games or heavy use, they will rise. My CPU has 4 cores, it shows a usage load on each core.

The SMART tab, checks if your HDD has recorded any errors, plus lots of other usage data.

CHARTS, logs and graphs out your temperatures, fan speed, system voltages etc..

Actual availability of data, depends on what your system allows it access to.

I thought Windows gave a warning that things were getting hot? I must admit though it sounds like an overheating issue.

Sponsored Links
As you had corrupted files on your hard drive try a SMART monitoring program to see the health of the disk. Normally this would cause blue screen of death though.

You could also try a program that puts the CPU under high load to see if the fan spins and if it causes crashes.

memtest86 is a good free program to test your memory..

Well laptop seems to be working ok and I have ordered a special cushioned wooden base to sit it on my lap at night time so will let you know if I have any further problems.
Thanks for the advice guys. Really appreciated.

I have never seen one, but that doesn't mean it doesn't.
It doesn't, normally windows tries to reduce the speed of the CPU to bring the temperature down so it won't overheat.

If it were a different chip that's falling over, for example part of the chipset on the motherboard, then that throttling won't help much.

Laptops don't like laps.

Sponsored Links
Back