I resisted Win 10 free upgrade but now try and find things

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For nearly 2 months I have been bombarded with a pop down screen offering Free Windows 10 upgrade from Win 7 that I was well happy with and knew where everything was. I kept putting it off, there was no choice to cancel except to postpone it, and it did bloody started to download automatically in the middle of my making a backup files of another HD.

I used Sound Recorder extensively to record meetings, and any other important legal discussions.

Now that has totally disappeared, no where to be found, and it is still too early for me to figure out how to get to various things, it is almost like you have moved to a new country and you have no idea where bus stops are where railways station is, how do you get to Town hall, and so on, you need to ask other people who are already living in that new town or country, so any Windows 10 users know where it may be or is there a free App I can download.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
type voice recorder into the 'search windows' box. BTW you can get win 10 to look very similar to old style windows, ie without the tiles.

Just click on the Window box (Bottom left corner on Bar) type Voice Recorder and click on it.
You can also click on window and bottom of list that appears select "All Apps" in the list that appears go down to "Voice Recorder" right click on it and select "Pin to Start" it will then be on your start menu OR You can select "More" and then from that select "Pin to Taskbar" and it will be permanently on your Taskbar at bottom of screen.

Last edited:
Nope I am not getting any luck, unless I download NCH or others sound recording software, which they say is free but usually on a 30 day trial , what happened to MS's original sound recorder or voice recorder? When i type either sound or voice recorder comes up through a web page offering various sound or voice recorders, but not the original MS voice recorder, that was already on my Win7. Also since I use voice recordings for training and security (in other words I recored people so they don't back track and record then as evidence of what they have said) so any software which allows you to edit or do anything to original file can be useless for evidence, since one can tamper with original file contents)

Sponsored Links
That's Strange it is a standard Microsoft app and is included in W 10, Do you get a list of all apps on your computer when you select All Apps

Ok thanks guys, managed to find the voice recorder now, and it comes up with a message that this format is Not supported fully, whatever that means I have recorded a test message but it came totally silent as I now believe my Mic is turned off, so I will now have to go into my control panel and see if I can dig out microphone control. Windows 10 looks great but what is the point of calling different names for the same features, take for instant cars, even those first manufactured in the year 1890 had a clutch called clutch, 100 years later they have not changed the name for a clutch, but Microsoft have some psychotic problem, first it was My computer on Windows 98, then it came known as simply Computer, now it is called This computer! FFS Microsoft why don't you change your own name instead!

Oh I forgot, whilst looking for an answer to my problem on you tube, apparently Windows 10 is heavily spy based software, and it doesn't surprise me at all, your very move, contact, emails, files, documents and voice recordings and also they are capable of listening into you, as well as having camera control in their grips, so I was wondering how come they offered me that for free, it is almost like planting a bug in my house! well dome Microsoft, I will now have to cut my Mic wires off and rip my camera off my laptop! Until I do that I am not taking my laptop in the loo! basteds.

Been using for a considerable time.
http://www.classicshell.net/
Classic Start Menu is a flexible start menu that can mimic the menu behavior of Windows 2000, XP and Windows 7. It has a variety of advanced features...

-0-

Ok thanks guys, no rush, I will have a go but sure just learned a lesson from my other work PC hard disc failure, first I must back up all my files even on this laptop, I have many many important work and personal files on my laptop as well, and now even the works computer back up.

you can get win 10 to look very similar to old style windows, ie without the tiles.
Would be nice if you can tell me how to ?

It seems there are different start 'experiences' depending on your particular PC. My understanding is that if Windows boots to the big tiles it's called the START SCREEN (and I think this is the one you have and want rid of), and then there is a more traditional 'desktop' looking START MENU. Mine booted to the START SCREEN when I first upgraded it from Windows 8.1, but have since changed it to boot every time to the START MENU. The instructions below seem simple enough, and there's a fair chance it's how I originally did mine... but... if I follow the instructions below, the START MENU header isn't there, so I can't 'undo' mine to test it. On reading a few websites the option might be removed on some builds etc, or maybe it's missing on mine since I have already changed it (which doesn't really make sense). Have a look and see if you have it.

Go to your desktop, right click a blank area of the bottom taskbar, choose PROPERTIES, choose START MENU, tick the box for USE START MENU INSTEAD OF START SCREEN, click OK. You'll be warned that need to sign out and back in.

With classic shell you have both !! On the fly as you like it ! Old style win7 etc 'menu' which has 'Start Menu (windows)' pinned at top of list.
Ideal way to get into Win10 without the aggro.
Don't forget 'Win-key' and 'x' pressed together gets another useful menu.

-0-

Thanks for the helpful tips, I guess by the time I mastermind Win 10, others may be using Windows15 and I will then be forced to go for that as old Windows would no longer be supported by most browsers. Already my old lap top on Windows 95 won't run current browsers like Chrome etc.

Microsoft and others like google are forcing consumers to forcefully upgrade OS and other software when some people are quite happy to stick with the old, or they don't have the need to upgrade as they may not be using all the facilities offered by modern operating systems.

Imagine if this was the case with our Motorways and roads, so if they were improved or modernised doesn't stop old timers and old bangers from using them.

There should be some way to prevent the big software companies forcing their products on to us, and they should continue to support older products for as long as necessary or reasonably practical, most white goods we buy continue to be supported for spares well after even 10 years. Microsoft has most probably launched about a dozen new windows when all they need to do is update older versions.

I understand that Windows 10 will be the 'last' Windows OS, according to Microsoft. At the same time, I'm sure that there will continue to be updates and upgrades automatically applied to W10.
I'm hoping that this means that there will be no more 'incompatible' software in the future, but I'd like to be assured of this. The most annoying thing that I have found, having witnessed several changes of Windows, is that old hardware (like a perfectly working scanner I own) suddenly won't work with W10 and the manufacturer has no intention of creating new drivers.

Sponsored Links
Back