Reinstalling Win 10

I don't get why you'd put an SSD in a home NAS, the constraint is more likely to be the network/router/switch/controller than the speed of the disk. I doubt the internals could ingest more than 100MB/s. If you RAID a 4 bay, the disk wont be a huge issue even for a relatively slow drive.

Its not like you're running an infiniband network

Sponsored Links
I think it's the drives algorithms that prevent thrashing; it keeps the files moving round so that the whole drive gets used evenly. The windows swap file is one of the most used files in the system (unless you've got masses of memory), so if you've got another drive, then that's the best place for it. As long as the SSD lasts a couple of years, most manufacturers aren't going to worry too much.

No, the drive firmware is tasked with wear levelling. That is ensuring that no part of the drive is written to more than others. Early drives were not very good at this.

A device purporting to be a hard drive whatever the technology has to write what it is requested to do. Before Windows officially supported SSD devices it would thrash the device - in that it would make continuous write requests in a manner that increases wear on SSD drives, this doesn't harm traditional magnetic media. If you are using a version of Windows that has proper SSD support and a modern device you do not need to move your swap/page/whatever you want to call it file to another drive. The size of this file does not necessarily get smaller the more system RAM you have either.

Moreover, if you use a primary device such as the Samsung 850 Pro, you can even hibernate a full system every day and you'll still struggle to wear it out. They are rated for 40Gb per day for 10 years.

I don't get why you'd put an SSD in a home NAS, the constraint is more likely to be the network/router/switch/controller than the speed of the disk. I doubt the internals could ingest more than 100MB/s. If you RAID a 4 bay, the disk wont be a huge issue even for a relatively slow drive.

You wouldn't normally for data, though it can be useful to run the system partition on an SSD. Keeps heat and running costs down over a normal hard disk and for some NAS/Server boxes it frees up another drive bay. The SSD can occupy a non used CD/DVD slot or similar.

Standard hard disks have moving parts. Even though the firmware allows then to spin down and sleep, when required they still have to spin up which takes time and power. My NAS box is switched on 24/7/365 and when it does sleep there is no lag in being able to access it with the SSDs in place, unlike my old NAS which contained Seagates.

Now that SSDs have become cheap enough, we are installing them in all new PCs we buy/build at work. The increase in speed is "quite noticeable". As a footnote, a 240GB SSD drive is cheaper than the 20MB (megabyte!) Conner 3.5" IDE hard drive I bought in 1994!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Its a big compromise in capacity though, particularly if you are running RAID 1 (or a proprietary version of it). I have a 4 bay NAS and a 2 bay NAS as backup. My 4 bay is RAID 1 and backs up to the remote 2 bay which is RAID 0. At home we keep very little on the end computers which are a mix of Linux & Mac, so the NASes tend to be pushing chunky files. The mrs is regularly working on files 25-50MB as she's a photographer and rest of the box is used for CCTV, music and movies, so its not like we are pulling binaries and swap all the time.

I'd be curious to know max transfer speed on your NAS with SSD on say a 4GB file? My gut feel is the low end controller and processor in the NAS will limit throughput.

Back