twin operating systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
managed to get rid of the Luder virus by reinstalling zp but discovered that the pc has win xp and win 98 on 2 different hard-drives.

I have 2 questions;

When the system boots up it gives an option to boot from either hard-drive and a 30 second countdown. Where do I go to alter this?

How would I go about formatting the D: drive (the one with win 98 and loads of old stuff on it) and just using it as new storage space?

Sponsored Links
Assuming you are now in XP not 98.
Turn on hidden files and folders (open my comp, tools, folder options, view, put spot in show hidden files/folders.)
go to C:\
find boot.ini
open it
change the timeout to whatever you want, if you want to format your d: drive, go ahead, either right click from within my computer and choose format, or do it from disk management should you want to partition it or have further options.
If you format it, change your boot ini again, if unsure POST YOUR BOOT INI HERE FIRST

Firstly, ensure that system restore is enabled, it is by default so that you can restore it to it's current state should things go awry.

Secondly, to change the way the machine starts you need to do the following..

Control Panel
System
Advanced
Startup and Recovery....Settings

When your there, you need to select the default operating system..it should be " Microsoft Windows XP {Home or Professional}/fastdetect"

If you have a drive listed, ensure you pick the installation of the correct drive..CRUCIAL.

Under this is a dialogue check box, untick the one which says "Time to display list of operating systems" and in the time box beside it reduce this to 0

The box below about recovery options leave as it is.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU EDIT THE STARTUP OPTIONS MANUALLY USING THE EDIT OPTION ON THIS PAGE..YOU WILL KNACKER THE COMPUTER IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING

As for formatting the drive with the old stuff on, select MY COMPUTER, right click on the drive in question and simply select FORMAT from the drop down menu..just ensure you format the right drive....

Good luck Hermes.

Sponsored Links
Partitioning is MUCH easier if you are already able to get into windows XP and dont wish to partition the system drive, simply go into disk manager - takes a tiny fraction of the time Fdisk does.

Sponsored Links
Back