XP Upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought Win XP upgrade so that I can upgrade my laptop from Win 98.

I installed the upgrade yesterday, however I have ended up now with both operating systems installed, when I boot up I get the option of running 98 or XP.

What I want to know is, is there a simple way for me to get rid of Win 98 or will I have to reformat the drive, install 98, then install XP upgrade but choose an alternative instalation option? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Are they both on the same partition? if so then I'd advise against trying to "delete" win98 as you may cause problems for yourself if you arnt sure on what you are doing. If this is the case, dead easy to stop it asking. If you post back with that info we'll go from there.

that will be because you were not watching, it does ask would you like to remove current o/s.

Funny thing is you need to have xp upgrade cd to properly upgrade win 98, win xp will do it but its alkward

I would forma it both partitions and start again (after making back ups of course)

eggplant said:
Are they both on the same partition? if so then I'd advise against trying to "delete" win98 as you may cause problems for yourself if you arnt sure on what you are doing. If this is the case, dead easy to stop it asking. If you post back with that info we'll go from there.

They are both on the same partition.

If I have to reformat and start again then it's not the end of the world, I have a 3G card that I have just installed (this was the reason why I had to upgrade) so that I can surf the net whilst I am out and about. The laptop has nothing important on it as I use my home PC for everything else.

Sponsored Links
It is possible to do an entire install from an XP upgrade disk, iirc you will be asked to insert your windows 98 disk during the install.
If you install the XP disk and set bios boot sequence to boot from CD does it ask you if you want to do a new installation / format as ntfs, (I can't remember??)

Back