Installing 2000 works suite on win xp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Dell computer with win98se came with 2000 works suite (7 discs)
I have since upgraded to win XP. When I tried to instal these ones on the win xp I was only able to install the 1st disc but could not install the 2nd disc.
I uninstalled it and tried again and this time nothing happened when I tried to install it.
Am I trying to achieve the impossible?

Greatly appreciate any comments/advice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
but could not install the 2nd disc.

Why what happened ? Error message ? Give us a clue.

I don't see any reason why the second disk wont load unless its damaged. You may have to run it in compatability mode.

Why not forget Works which is utter guff , and install this http://www.openoffice.org/

Its free and very very good.

Thank you BoxClava.
The error essage I got was 'check REGEDIT'. I havern't a clue what it is, as a limited computer literate dummy :oops:
I have openoffice 2.4 installed but it is another pain
When I copy and paste the following happens in 'text document' mode:
1. It pastes on the 2nd page, viz the first page is blank
2. Only the 1st page of any longer material is pasted,that too is on the 2nd page, all the other pages are blank.

I consulted openoffice forum ,only one responded to try'ctrl+space+v'
No joy there either.
Please advice how to run on compatibility mode.

If you go to Add/Remove progs, is Works listed there?

If so uninstall it.

Download a regcleaner (regscrubxp for example) after you have rebooted and clean the registery.Reboot.

Start the install again making sure you install the discs in the order that Works asks for them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks BoxCleva.
When I tried to reinstall I am asked to enter the product key which I do not have because it came with computer already installed.So I wrote to Dell ( no reply so far). Then I realised I had word 2003; which I bought some time back, and I installed it.
I was able to do so in admin mode and open word straight away but when I opened word in guest- mode windows appear saying 'preparing to install'> 'configuring' > then it opens word programme after about 3-4 minutes - an unnecessary delay.
Could you please help. Thanks. :confused:

Back