Re-installation disc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have changed the hard drive on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, ie, from the original 60GB to a 120GB. The laptop is now two years old and it was supplied with a Windows XP Home edition, service pack 2, re-installation disc. Unfortunately, even with the old HD installed, and then the new one, this re-installation disc cannot be "read" and, of course, I cannot get the PC to boot up with the new, empty HD installed. Strangely, the re-installation disc can be "read" on my older Dell desktop PC. With my original (almost full) 60GB HD re-installed, I can read any CD, DVD etc, but, the re-installation disc cannot be "opened". In "My Computer" the disc drive, "D" shows that the drive is empty when this re-installation disc is in the CD tray.
Before I contact Dell, if anyone could kindly advise what might be wrong or, where I might look to solve the problem, it would be very much appreciated.
Because the re-installation disc can be read in other PCs, I am assuming that the disc is not faulty and that there is some conflict between my laptop and the disc.
Thanks for any comment or advice.

Sponsored Links
Try creating an image of your old drive on cd/dvd.
Then replace old drive with new, restore image from the cd/dvd and away you go.
Bonus is it will save hours in reinstalling all the software.

Many thanks for the advice Barsteward. However, I did install the old hard disc into a USB connected housing but, could not boot up from it. In the BIOS, a USB bootable facility is shown, as the second available "bootable" device. By connecting my old drive, through a USB port, is that the same as your suggestion, ie, creating an image of my old drive ? If not, ( and your suggestion sounds ideal) in capturing an "image" of my old disc, do I just drag the C drive icon, with all it's contents, into my CD writing program or, is it more complicated that that ? Any advice again much appreciated.

You need software to create the image.
Some use Ghost, personally i much prefer Acronis. It can do images and back ups. Good bit of software and well worth the money.

Sponsored Links
Back