Are you on Virgin media, and its slow after upgrade?

M

Mickymoody

I was worried when Cable started upping my bill, and got to the point where they charge £12 for line rental, £25 for 2Mb broadband (supposedly upgraded to 10Mb), and £1 for M TV package. Then extra for weekend calls/after 6 o clock, and extra for a paper bill..

So I rang them early this morning, (when they were tired), and immediately got £7 off my bill for the weekend calls, and then got passed through to technical, to ask them why my free upgrade from 2mb to 10mb didn't receive 10mb downloads, but they charge me £25 for it....you won't believe this, as this has repercussions for everyone in the country!

'EVEN THOUGH WE OFFER EVERYONE A FREE UPGRADE FROM 2MB TO 10 MB, THE MODEM THAT IS CURRENTLY INSTALLED IS UNABLE TO RECIEVE 10MB'....they then blabbed on about when the offer was origionally issued, which was months ago, and can be proved, they only said this was implicated in the last two weeks, and offered me a £20 refund, WITHOUT me asking for it!

They then went on to say they will send me a new modem FOC, that IS capable of receiving 10Mb download speeds.

But if I recall the origional email from them saying the date that they were upgrading their service, and pass this onto the OFT, or Trading Standards, free internet for a while, as they lied, and what they say is the speed of the connection is 2mb to 10mb, which it never was.

So if you have cable internet, check your speed..ring up, and get a new modem, as apparently modems are unable to provide 10Mb, unless you have a new modem, so check back to when you were upgraded, and check out how much you were overcharged.

My speed strangely went up overnight from 1.5 to 9Mb/s even without a new modem..

**edit - installed the new modem, and even though the old modem showed 9.5 meg, and the new one the same, it's a LOT faster!!!!!! And a lot sleeker/smaller looking too. (copied from another thread)

For good speedtest go to Speedtest.net, it gives you a local server to bounce off, and you can even copy your results into a sig file.

Sponsored Links
Just did mine.
9.76Mb to a server in Manchester.
Seems ok.

One more thing to watch out for Micky. Their email service is now provided by Google, who have a very peculiar spam filter applied . I missed a job interview offer through this. Their spam filter blocks all messages it thinks are spam from getting through to your inbox.
I only found out this week after they had a problem with emails which required me to go to my Virgin Media online email ( I use Office Outlook for my email)
I couldn't understand why it said I was using 200mb of my online email when there were only a couple of emails in my inbox. That's when I found the spam box and had a look through to see what they were filtering and found lots of emails I had actually subscribed to as well as others I really could have done with receiving.
Must admit there were lots that are spam, but my Office Outlook filter would have blocked these anyway.
I have now turned off their spam filter and will allow OE to handle the spam.

Sponsored Links
I am also with Virgin, & am happy with the service.
I still use "windows mail" but I suspect it gets filtered through Virgin mail first as a couple of legit emails have been classed as spam. Also I have to remember to access Virgin mail to empty the box. I wonder if there is a way to turn it off.
JonB

Been with them about 6 months and the service has been good so far, speed seems ok and also use windows mail

How much you pay?

£54.00 a month for 10Mb internet, Anytime phone calls which includes free calls to virgin mobiles, (whole family have virgin mobiles), and full TV package consisting of 1xHD V+ box and 2x standard boxes with the full set of programmes. We also got 90 hours of free films which are normally 'pay-toview'.
All in all quite happy with the whole deal. When it was upgraded about 2 months ago the HD box failed after 3 days, we got a £10 refund on the next bill to cover loss of service for 2 days. (We simply transferred one of the other boxes to the living room in the meantime so didn't actually go without at all).

I tend to use my virgin email for job applications, professional etc, and hotmail for everything else, but since they changed their system, the virgin account is unreliable. The app provided by them didn't work, so I followed the manual instructions, as I use Outlook, I wonder if I did something wrong, or has anyone else experienced problems? Maybe my router/firewall settings are wrong, as the new modem wouldn't install thru the router?

Their customer service was rubbish, I couldn't hear or understand the operator, and when I was describing the problem, that the install process was in a constant loop, they told me to shut up!

Sponsored Links
Back