Time For New Computer Or Repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Acer Aspire T120e Desktop with XP, bought new Mid 2007. It has been reliable uo to now, and after I increased the DDR memory, suits my needs. However, recently a few things have started happening;

1) The Cd re-writer has stopped working

2) Sometimes I get a loud whirring noise, mainly after start up, which either lasts a few minutes or stops if I tap the grille where the fan blows out on the back. I suppose its a noisy fan(??) What else can it be?

3) Several times during a session, the tab I am using on Internet Explorer will minimise itself, as if I had clicked to minimise on the top right of screen. Clicking at the bottom of the screen brings it up again. Only happens twice per hour, so not a major problem.

I don't know much about pcs. How long do they last? In my situation (not exactly loaded!), should I be looking to fix these faults, or would I be wasting my time? Is my pc on its way out?

Sponsored Links
First thing..Have you got everything backed up?.
If you have use it till it wont work then get a new one, it may go for years.
The longer you hold on the beter they get.

Thanks for replying.

No I haven't got everything backed up. Due to CD r/w failure, I can't put anything on discs. Will have to invest in a flash drive for now.

A flash drive is not a backup method.

It is very easy to change the optical drive. You could also buy an external hard drive.

Sponsored Links

It is very easy to change the optical drive. You could also buy an external hard drive.

I backup to an external hard drive and also backup my business folders to a flash drive using briefcase. Why is a flash drive not a backup method?

I backup to an external hard drive and also backup my business folders to a flash drive using briefcase. Why is a flash drive not a backup method?

Because they're slow, unreliable, and easily lost.

The faults are not serious & it should still be OK for a couple of years yet; they usually get outdated rather than fail completely these days. You can get a new optical drive on-line for less than 20 quid now & a Blue Ray drive for not much more but it might just be the driver given up the ghost or needs updating. A new case fan will set you back a whopping 3-7 quid depending on which you buy & your other problem sounds more software related, either a problem with IE or your settings. If you have an XP install disc rather than a backed up image, a fresh install of the OS around every 18 months does wonders & your PC will run just like the day you first turned it on; you will have to re-load all your software though.

Sponsored Links
Back