How can I tell if my external boiler is wired properly for frost stat operation??

Hi exedon, mine is the 15/21 which is a tightly fitted unit and why I chose it as it was going on a walkway of 900mm and only taking up 400mm all in. I’ll get a look at the wiring tomorrow and if it’s no right I’ll get you it sorted.

But I guess my main question is how can I tell if there is no permanent live to the boiler at present by using what is actually there??

Cheers
You need a permanent live its that simple should be wired In to L2 . You need to check connections if any of incoming supply's have been linked that's not correct either.
They really are a simple boiler to wire including pipe stat work in boiler 10 min max.
When you get cover of post some pics.

Sponsored Links
1EEBB876-D22C-448F-AAF9-A2FBF56F026F.jpeg

Attachments

• 8A930792-85B2-4CD8-A26D-F0CA800BBF24.jpeg
    8A930792-85B2-4CD8-A26D-F0CA800BBF24.jpeg
    425.3 KB · Views: 44
  • A8DD5C3C-16DE-4012-BEB5-90840111DF0C.jpeg
    A8DD5C3C-16DE-4012-BEB5-90840111DF0C.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 39
Exedon,

As per pictures above it is clearly not wired correctly just a twin and earth to the boiler off the programmer switching. No wires back to the wiring centre to feed the pump nor heating valve either obviously…

I’ll have to get on to the plumber next week and get the spark back.

Thanks for the help gents.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that please let us know final outcome!
Couple of observations that's a cat's breakfast way to pipe it up . Even on that model there's enough room to fit pump above boiler leaving room for system filter to be in back section,
We use 'spare' flue hole to take pipework into building using a section on soil pipe as a sleeve.
We would always take condensate waste into boiler case in
1 1/4 never have overflow pipe external.
Going by the collection of junction boxes you probably have enough cables into boiler just need to be reconfigured .

I guess a cats breakfast looks like a Dogs dinner…
And I agree completely. Strangely the installer is well thought of locally and I was put off using several others because of their bad reps so who knows what they’d be like 8-|
I was expecting them ( plumber and mate) to take the pipes through the holes for pipes individually with 50mm core holes and insulate right through.. I hadn’t considered the spare flue hole which has loads of room as you say and would leave loads of room.

The pipe work in the boiler was barely lagged so I redid that all. The condensate trap was sat on top of the flow and return with the flexi condensate pipe going upwards like a rainbow before dropping back down with a kink in it…. And the rest of it was a proper picture… I redid that myself and while I know 32mm is ideal outside there is very little exposed to freeze and I’ll be covering the internal pipe with a layer or 2 of insulation out of the old boiler so it will only be a the last 200mm exposed.

To be honest I’d probably be better off re wiring myself but out of principle I will get the monkey back to do it or the plumber can pay for a real spark to come round for half an hour.

Many thanks for the help.

I wouldnt they havent a clue what they are doing, get someone who does know and send the bill to them
I mean speak to the plumber to get the lazy spark back. If he doesn’t want to chastise his plumber then he can pay me back what I gave him for the electrics and I’ll do it myself or get my sparks neighbour in to do it

I’m not sure, but I assume so. He said having the mag one fitted increased the guarantee to 5 years… but he also said he had a good spark

Grant don’t seem to have a viewable register here in NI…. Not one grant registered installer as far as I can see. I do know a guy who does all their warranty work in my area so will try to get a chat with him. On another note they are still putting plastic deaerators inside houses (and even in kitchen cabinets) here…. OFTEC doesn’t seem to exist here- building control lets plumbers and sparks self certify and they don’t care even if there is a socket in a splash zone. Go figure

Anyway- happy new year. Will report back next year

Yet you say you live in Hertfordshire, mickey mouse info never will get you the correct help, no Oftec not required in NI

Nice post Ian. I moved, so apologies for not updating my details for you. My jurisdiction shouldn’t make any odds to my question- the question is universal in terms of what is correct wiring etc. Anyway- disney matter- Exedon was very helpful. Seasonal efficiencies to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back