How can you make a scratty concrete yard look nice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a fairly big courtyard at the back of the house. It's a nice space with a really nice old brick wall, but it's just old concrete on the ground - often patched, different bits done differernt times.

It could have a wonderful sort of mediterranean vibe with potted plants, etc - but the ugly floor makes it look like the back of a shop and I have no idea how one could renovate this?

I don't really want to go for gravel and I definitely don't want to turf it. Is there some way the concrete could be treated to be a nice uniform finish, smoothly out cracks and whatever? Never seen anyone do this sort of thing to know what options there are.

Sponsored Links
Then it will just be mud and rubble... would you suggest relaying concrete or will that just have the same issue? Don't want to keep re-doing it every few years :)

Sponsored Links
Artificial grass?
Not my taste but a good suggestion. Is there anything else along that sort of direction, some sort of matting/"outdoor carpet?" Sounds a bit daft but you never know.

You could create areas of potted plants surrounded by chopped bark?
Make paths out of decking tiles or from scratch?

OK, that's interesting. If cracks could be filled and the thing painted a neutral colour that might be pretty neat. I painted my garage floor with special paint like you see in commercial garages, is this the same sort of thing?

How big a yard is it? Tiles, decking, paint the concrete?
It's quite large and a weird shape. I'd have to guesstimate 100-200m2 and I don't want a HUGE project. Painting seems like an option, I wasn't sure how that worked on concrete floors.

Apart from cracks it's a reasonably smooth surface. Some rough bits of concrete where it has been patched, I think one could rent some sort of floor grinder to get it a good finish?

I've just done a similar area outside our house between house and old wash house about 3.5 x 3m. Installed a concrete pad, then decoupling membrane and tiled in porcelain tiles suitable for exterior. If your concrete is not flat you will need to level it with a screed first.

DON'T use chopped bark! It's the devils own! It blows around in the wind when it's small or dry and if you decide to change it for shingle or slate you always manage to miss some which eventually finds it's way to the surface of your new stuff.
The potted plants idea is a good one though. Make small wooden frames to stand the pots in and then surround the base of the pots by laying small pebbles inside the frame. You can select the worst parts of the concrete to place the frames so the concrete is hidden under the stones.

OK, that's interesting. If cracks could be filled and the thing painted a neutral colour that might be pretty neat. I painted my garage floor with special paint like you see in commercial garages, is this the same sort of thing?

Unless you screed the whole area you won't get a completely even finish.

You could paint it with a base colour, then tape it out and paint in groutlines, and pick out some 'tiles' in slightly darker or lighter tones to add variety and hide inconsistency.

You can even get metallic marble finishes in epoxy resin if you want to spend £££s.

https://www.resincoat.co.uk/en/outdoor/455-resincoat-outdoor-patio-paint.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back