How can you tell if a wall is load bearing?

AL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok here's the thing. I have an outside shed which is made of brick and has a flat concrete roof. Inside the shed it is separated into two parts by means of a brick wall. I want to remove this wall, problem is how do i know if it's taking any of the weight of the roof?

Just to be clear, i am not going to do this myself, i am going to get a builder in to do it because i'm not going to risk having the roof fall on me ;) My question is purely out of interest.

I'm 90% sure it'll be fine as it's just a dividing wall, but like i say, i'm no expert.

Cheers

AL

Sponsored Links
Without seeing it I can't say but to be on the safe side why not put in a lintel on top of the wall you want to take down resting on the outside walls then knock the internal wall down. This way would give you a extra support for the roof anyway.

Why don't you knock out one of the top course of bricks and check if the roof is one piece or if there is a joint seam over the wall ?
Speaking from experience I would be almost certain that it is a one piece concrete slab and removing the wall will not affect it at all. You could also check your neighbours shed for any signs that theirs had this wall too by looking in the same area for ceiling or wall markings of the previous wall position. My guess is that their's was removed some time back to achieve the result that your after.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it is one concrete slab. That's why i was a bit concerned about knocking walls down as it must weigh a ton. No, next doors is a different design, they only have one door leading in to their shed. Ours has two, one on the outside of the property (probably used as a coal bunker) and one inside our garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back