How childish are you with all your 'Why was i deleted' posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not a regular here in GD, just in the roofing section so you can count me as an innocent bystander.

I'm not pals with one person and enemies with another...

For Gods sake, it's like being at school, I've never known a forum where everyone throws so many hissy fits, and a forum where after the first post, someone is so eager to jump in with a sarcastic comment followed by a shedload of rolleyes smileys. What on earth does it look like to a new visitor when almost 10 of the threads on the first page are all about moaning and are either locked or about to be locked?

Please please please just make an effort, try to be nice, cool down on the ranting, the sniping, the swearing and don't break the rules, just respect them and keep GD half decent.

I don't care who the hell the mods are, they don't get paid to trawl through the sheite editing and deleting posts/threads, I'm sure their time is better spent elsewhere.

Come on people, sensible adult discussions respecting the rules and others around you. :cool:

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with you MW.
We all have our own sense of fairness here in GD, but recently the Mod's seem to be very unfair in their treatment of some posters. Banning posters or deleting posts, willy nilly for the slightest " perceived transgression, Yet others are allowed their vitriolic posts, snide remarks, downright aggression towards others and nothing seems to be done about it.
It's easy for the Mod's to hide behind the anonymity of the internet and delete posts/lock threads as they see fit, apparently without any accountability.
Regulars on here could name a few posters who seem to be getting away with it, but as soon as names are mentioned, posts are deleted.

Mw Roofline
i kind of expect your post was half aimed at me... but what would you do if it was deleted before anyone replied? Would you still be happy Mr roofer? i doubt it.

However, i do accept your sentiment about keeping it all in check.... but the mods need to live by the same set of rules? surely?

Mate, it wasn't aimed at you, just in general. I don't really take note of the usernames. I don't know anyone on here. :)

Can a mod just delete all the threads below this one that have no use IE: why was my thread locked etc etc and I think that whatshisname is an idiot and start fresh?

Maybe a bit of housekeeping to tidy up GD, Hell you could make this a sticky and have it as the 'Rant room'!! At least the rest of GD will be decent :cool:

Sponsored Links
well igree on the bit about every idiot jumping onto a post and wasting evryone's time... and if i'm honest i don't care what it looks like to new members... thats the comment of a mod !!!

For me it's all about being just civil!!!! and this site aint anymore, that's why it's become the school playground you dislike !

Hiya Matt by the way ;) - good post and totally agree.

The GD has gone downhill for some strange reason. Shame really because there are some great posters with a sense of debate on here, but, hopefully, the others will go to Screwfik, or somewhere they can vent their obnoxious rants.

Steve

Hello Matt. Sorry for my rant.... i think we want the same thing... this is such a good resource... but so many good people are put off by the idiots...

keep up the good work (you might have to change your name to MW ceilingline!? if you don't like heights?)

I've brought this up with admin before, but really, I think there is a problem with the members posting due to the nature of the forum.

It's DIYnot...and many DIY'ers, and professionals, are not from the education standards generally acheived, no keep reading. So while someone is very good at working with their hands, in DIY, they aren't good at expressing themselves literally.

Where someone is very good at their trade, the environment in which they work is course. If you work on a building site, you are used to nicknames, and swearing, but not expressing your point on a forum, so you are yourself, which is a good thing, but the admin, deem unacceptable, as they are the middle managers in the trade? And don't see it like on the shop floor?

Someone that works with their hands, and has a skill, has always shunned an acedemic future, I think I'm saying.

Mickymoody, are you trying to imply that tradesmen are single syllable grunters and non tradesmen are all erudite, with a flair for the written word like William Shakespeare ?
If so, you're on a sticky wicket there. I just think that the people who use sarcasm and personal insults do so because they are anonymous, not because they can't utilise the queens english, and can hide behind a screen. Easiest thing to do is not rise to the bait.

Mickymoody, are you trying to imply that tradesmen are single syllable grunters and non tradesmen are all erudite, with a flair for the written word like William Shakespeare ?
If so, you're on a sticky wicket there. I just think that the people who use sarcasm and personal insults do so because they are anonymous, not because they can't utilise the queens english, and can hide behind a screen. Easiest thing to do is not rise to the bait.

Some of them indeed, and you make a fine point about anonymous, which would indicate the point further. These people work with their hands, and have little time for a formal education, because their skills are in their work. Ask an educated graduate to solder something, they know the math behind it, they know the theory, but being able to apply the trade, no idea.

Ask a layman, to do the same, no problem, the math is unimportant.

But when the educated, that don't know the skill start talking on a forum, they talk the talk, but a layman that knows the skill, comes across someone that doesn't, then the leylanguage comes out, and they get banned. The layman that does gives answers, in common speak, take it or leave it, I've lived this, I know this. The graduate, says I know this, in theory, and in mathematics, but haven't applied it, remain.

Mr roofer?

Oh and it's not really roofing, just fascias and soffits now . Taken the easy route out, anything above the gutter I hate doing lol :mrgreen: :oops:

My names Matt by the way :)
And the guttering - taking more work out of the plumbers hands :rolleyes: :evil: :LOL: ;)

He's welcome to it.

Much rather be in the warm, drinking tea and fiddling with some old dear's thermostat, rather than clinging to a ladder in a force 9 trying to nail some guttering on! ;)

Good point, well made though MW.

Sponsored Links
Back