We need to talk about Kevin, sorry, I mean ban-all-sheds

It's not that I left, but I avoid posting certain types of questions due to BAS. I go instead to http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk, where they are more polite, and just as knowledgeable.

Many on the above forum are also condescending pr1cks, many belive that because they have been playing with cables since the dawn of electricity that they can inform everyone else of 'how it's done' without any regard to the current regs because that's what they have done for years. It's just an old boys club and that's that.

Sponsored Links
It's not that I left, but I avoid posting certain types of questions due to BAS. I go instead to http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk, where they are more polite, and just as knowledgeable.

Many on the above forum are also condescending pr1cks, many belive that because they have been playing with cables since the dawn of electricity that they can inform everyone else of 'how it's done' without any regard to the current regs because that's what they have done for years. It's just an old boys club and that's that.

when i worked on oil rig design each contract used a structural code which the client wanted
they were all similar and greatly more analytical than the code we used way back when for onshore structures
namely bs 449...which a lot of builders used to determine the size of an irish jay needed to support an opening
when catnics were not greatly used on small one horizontal support in days

as it was explained to me by the lead designer at one of london's largest offshore structural contractors

a code is a code and a load is a load
the steel doesnt know what its been designed to

i think maybe this has also crept into the codes for electrical installation as well
we used to analyse the sh1t of everything just to keep our hand in

remember chaps, we pr1cks understand something about following safety rules...in a practical sense

F.O.S. springs to mind...its built into every code and specification

so keep slagging us off and continue to give us your help...which is appreciated

cheers
geof

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I cannot believe this nonsense is still going on. Look people, Kevin may be a pain in the arse, he always has been, but he is not a fool either. His arrogance does get the better of him from time to time, but many of us can be guilty of that.

The simple fact is the Mods will ban someone if they feel the need, having a flipping witch hunt on the forum is divisive, cowardly and only serves to create friction that no-one actually needs.

Personally I see such threads as personal attacks because it is one group campaigning to ban someone they either don't like or cannot beat in an argument. If you don't like Kevin's posts, don't flipping answer them, if he posts something you don't like, ignore it... be adults for Christ's sake..you may not like what he says, but at least he has the balls to say it and back it up without getting personal unless attacked..

If I were a Mod here I would delete all threads like this..uncalled for I'm my humble opinion...and I don't even like the guy!!

The simple fact is the Mods will ban someone if they feel the need, having a flipping witch hunt on the forum is divisive, cowardly and only serves to create friction that no-one actually needs.

If I were a Mod here I would delete all threads like this..uncalled for I'm my humble opinion...and I don't even like the guy!!

I agree this is a pointless thread, BAS gives good advice and his links are really good for anyone like me who wants to get full details and understand what is involved (when I served my time it was 13th edition so a few things have changed since then)

I agree this is a pointless thread, BAS gives good advice and ...
If I read his personality/psychology correctly, I would suspect that he will be delighted to see a thread about himself, regardless of the content, not to mention the ego-boost he undoubtedly gets from seeing some of his supporters creep out of cracks in the woodwork :)

BAS never gives bad advice (and very rarely incorrect advice, probably less often than most of us!). The pity is that he doesn't seem able to effect the small changes in the way in which he gives his advice which, IMO, would make it much more likely that his advice would be heeded by more people.

Kind Regards, John

I'm going to weigh in here and no doubt receive criticism... But will also on the other hand be frank.

The problem is, this site is... A DIY site, people come on here for help and advice.

With electrics, they are dangerous, life threatening and BAS takes the attitude that if he doesn't advise or sits there telling people they need an electrician... And being frank with them that they will then go out and get an electrician.... But in reality WRONG.

People I have found if they are adement enough to do it themselves regardless of their level of knowledge and safety aspects they will do so..and telling them they don't know what they are doing, get an electrician, and making frank remarks picking at their knowledge is in no way going to change their decision to do it themselves.

So doing what he thinks is right, and probably is right is not the right thing to be doing on here!

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing... But people come on here to increase that knowledge and help them do it safely.

By picking at the holes in their knowledge and refusing help they are then going to continue with that little knowledge and along the path of it being dangerous... But with a little extra knowledge they will do it safer than it would of been.

BAS fails to see this often, he thinks he's doing the right thing... And if I'm honest it is the right thing to try and discourage people, he does have superior knowledge nobody is debating this... But if he doesn't want to put it to use helping people because he brands every diver incompetant he should be on a professional electrician forum where it's only professionals... Not a forum aimed at and for the benefit of DIYers primarily.

But in the real world and reality, you have to remember this is a DIY forum and people if they wanted to get an electrician they would have instead of attempting it themselves and finding themselves on here asking for advice and BAS picking at their knowledge and basically saying NO this is wrong you have no idea what you are doing, he is actually creating a dangerous situation because its putting people off asking... I certainly got scared to post, becsus I feared everything I would say would be met with blunt critism... But does that make me get an electrician? No, it means I'm trying to do things which I need that little bit of extra knowledge to do safely but don't want to ask and so end up down the path of having only a little knowledge which is a dangerous thing.

He doesn't consider that sometimes people don't get electricians in for a reason.

It maybe simply they can't afford one, it maybe that they want to do a job bit by bit at a slow pace like some people DIY rewiring their home might want to do 1 room at a time as they renovate the house... But an electrician won't always want to be that flexible to have a job dragging on for 18 months coming back once every few weeks or it maybe only time is evenings and weekends or bank holidays when you can't get an electrician... There are multiple reasons.

I'm not disputing how dangerous electrics are, people have been killed by dodgy electrics.

But you have to question if some of those accidents could of been prevented if they came on somewhere like here, got the advice and help they required to do the work safely..and went away with a little extra knowledge to prevent it being a dangerous thing.

But I'd imagine there are lots of people too scrared to post because they see BAS posts or have been in the line of fire of them before... It's not nice being bluntly branded incompetent and effectively being shot down and it deters you from asking in the future but doesn't stop the DIY electrical work going on.

I'm going to weigh in here and no doubt receive criticism... But will also on the other hand be frank..........................
IMO, all very very true, and essentially the same as I have been saying repeatedly over the years.

Kind Regards, John

If I read his personality/psychology correctly, I would suspect that he will be delighted to see a thread about himself, regardless of the content, not to mention the ego-boost he undoubtedly gets from seeing some of his supporters creep out of cracks in the woodwork :)
There may be a smiley but that is uncharacteristically rude and intolerant for you.

I agree this is a pointless thread, BAS gives good advice and ...

BAS never gives bad advice (and very rarely incorrect advice, probably less often than most of us!). The pity is that he doesn't seem able to effect the small changes in the way in which he gives his advice which, IMO, would make it much more likely that his advice would be heeded by more people.

Kind Regards, John
Oh, so now you are a psychologist as well as an electrical expert, you really are determined to have the last word aren't you. I'll go back into the woodwork now.:(

There may be a smiley but that is uncharacteristically rude and intolerant for you.
Hmmm. Even the smiley didn't seem to help, but there was no intent to be either rude or intolerant - I was merely stating the situation as I see it. We all know BASs, from other forums and from real life - and, unless he is atypical of most of the others, there is probably little he would like more than to see threads about himself. It also surely goes without saying that someone who is often criticised, rightly or wrongly, will gain comfort and reassurance (i.e will experience an 'ego boost') from seeing others come to his support. ... so I really don't see what was the problem with what I wrote.

Kind Regards, John.

Oh, so now you are a psychologist as well as an electrical expert ...
I am not, and have never claimed to be, an 'electrical expert' - I merely have an interest in the subject. I don't know, but I would not necessarily expect BAS to claim to be an 'electrical expert', either - since, like me, he is not, and (AFAIAA) never has been, an electrician.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back