Help -Who can we complain to- trading standards etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought our house from a guy that bought it in a poor state at auction & fully refurbed it. His son a builder did all the structural work and to a high standard (over engineered if anything).
He lives nearby & has has / is more than happy to help us with any concerns that we have had within the time we have owned the house.

Here goes the dilema

They brought other trades in to do things lights electrics etc..

The electrician installed the expelair shower light. We have had a damp patch on a party wall but near a window which has become progressively worse (BLACK & DAMP NOW)since we moved in.
I suggested to the electrician that i had looked into the attic but where the shower extractor light is fitted there is no access so i could not see if he had fitted any ducting for the damp air to be carried through nor could i see a vent in the external wall or soffits for the damp air to escape!
My suggestion was that the damp air is being extracted straight into the wall cavity / ceiling void hence no means of escape hence the damp patch!!!.
He then went on to say he himself subbed someone in to do the plastering & thought he had fitted the ducting & outside vent!
I explained that the previous owner had paid him the electrician to do said work & then explained to me that any problems with the electrics or the vent for the extractor to speak to the electrician.
Having explained this to the electrician he said he would speak to the previous owner who paid him & get back to me regarding who is responsible.
I explained i would contact building standards or whoever could help me.
I am very concerned that damp air is being driven into a small ceiling void & wall cavity with ceiling lights & wall sockets which i believe is a fire hazard.
I am very concerned as we have had other problems with electrics that this electrician installed recently.
Any helpful advise appreciated thanks.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/electr...installed.321908/page-2#2398752#ixzz1urhKF0kl

Sponsored Links
This electrician has done electrical work in the bathroom.
Any such work is notifiable and, as such, there MUST be paperwork to state that he has complied with Building Regulations. This is a LEGAL requirement.

To do the work he should have been a member of one of the "Part P" registration bodies.

You should have a copy of ALL of this paperwork from the person you bought the house from.

Get the paperwork and complain to the electrician's "Part P" registration body. They will step in to fix the problem - all work is guaranteed.

If notification has not been done then contact your local authority building control and shop him.

PS. Damp is not a fire hazard (!) but the moisture will rot your roof timbers/.

Taylortwocities - Thank You for your sensible response.

My wife & I are no fools but we do believe in giving people the chance to redeem themselves.
However we will not be taken for a ride either.
I appreciate your response & will follow up on what you have suggested.

Much better your reply than others that just try to scare you with their comments without being constructive.

What did the survey say?

And why not get on with repairing the work having asked the repairing contractor to offer up photos and a report when taking down and then fixing?

You will compound the problems by not taking the helm and getting them resolved.

Have you thought to ask your buildings insurance if they can do anything?

I am not a legal expert, but would it be unfair to suggest that buyer beware applies, and had the survey been of a standard they would have reported such suspect work?

Sponsored Links
If the fan is into the wall and as for as the cavity then just got someone with a corer to pop a hole through the other leaf of the wall and put a vent on. Job done. It should only take a couple of hours.

To add a bit more.

All major electrical work requires an electrical installation certificate EIC. This is issued by the appointed contractor to the property owner at point of job completion.

Aside from that the contractor has to be a scheme member for Part P. this means that the contractor informs his scheme and they in turn inform the local building control at the Council.

Because of this process any survey done on a property for a purchaser will have asked the vendor for proof that the electrical part of the refurb project was done to standard.

So check your survey report, see what that says. Then phone the survey department and ask what evidence such as the EIC was seen.

Failing that a chat with building control may help, they should have records to validate the Part P element. Without it, the building control would not have issued a completion cert for the whole project. Without that you wouldn't have got past the legals to the point where you could buy.

Hope that helps explain a bit more.

To do the work he should have been a member of one of the "Part P" registration bodies.

this is not true at all, a person needs to be competent and then may choose how to notify the work such as ,
1) through the BCS directly
2) via a scheme who notify BCS

To add a bit more.

Aside from that the contractor has to be a scheme member for Part P. this means that the contractor informs his scheme and they in turn inform the local building control at the Council.

this is also untrue

this is not true at all, a person needs to be competent and then may choose how to notify the work such as ,

Well. I already outlined your option 2). I didnt go into the other option reallys only as a way to simplify the process for the OP.

The only time that the "BCS directly" option should be available is where the works are being carried out as part of larger works that are registered with LABC and have Building Regs requirements. In that case there will have been a fee paid, either for the larger works (possible) or to legitimise the notifiable works of fitting a bathroom fan (most unlikely as this route has a £200+ price tag).

In both options 1 and 2 LABC shouild have records. If they don't have records then the electrician has broken the law.

To add a bit more.

this is also untrue

Don't be a plum, the op suggested the property had a top to bottom refurb 99% of the time what process will be used?

There was no point in providing details of the alternative method, as in direct application and fee to building control. Thanks for your negative input, might I suggest that next time you want to pi55 on my post you don't make me out to be a liar.

What I said DOES apply in the vast majority of full fat refurbs, and you know it does.

See above post from me. Again why pi55 on something that's the majority method, did you read what the op said?

He'd bought it at an auction and did a full refurb
:rolleyes:

goodpost.gif

Regarding the duct or lack thereof, it should be easy to remove the shower light from the bathroom ceiling. Usually there are two screws behind the bezel, the whole assembly can then be lowered for inspection. If a duct is attached remove it from the back of the light and push it back through the hole in the ceiling. Be careful not to loose it, (attach a piece of string if you're worried you might) You now have a hole through which you can shine a torch for further investigation. A small mirror can also be used to assist if needed.

The electrical issue is another matter as per the previous posts.

The referencies to IEC or other certificates are not valid. I recently had an extension to my property including a kitchen. After being let down by an electrician I carried all electrical work myself (competent but not registered-retired) under building regs. The BC electrician inspected and passed the work. When the completion certificate was issued I asked for the electrical certificate. I was told that it was not available or needed as the completion certificate covered the work.

Not true.

The completion certificate only says that the work complies with Building Regulations. Including Part P - electrical safety.

The installation certificate states that the work complies with Wiring Regulations. (BS7671 or equivalent).

You should have an installation certificate. It details each circuit worked on and gives a schedule of the results of the tests carried out after the installation..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back