How close to the fence can I build extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We’re building our 3m single storey extension under permitted development at the moment. Couldn’t get PWA with one of the neighbours so will have to build within our boundary. Could someone please advise if there are rules about how close to neighbours fence you could build extension?

Our builders seem to think the side wall should be 15cm away from the fence but I couldn’t find any online guidance for this. Is anyone able to advise please?

Many thanks,
Leon

Sponsored Links
I don't know for sure, but assume the 15cm is to allow room for the guttering etc. Although, is 15cm enough for that? Is there guttering on boundary?
Maybe it's just a case of how close they can dig a foundation without upsetting the fence?

In theory a wall in line with the boundary, is a boundary wall.

but as above, you need to come away to ensure guttering and roof overhangs don’t encroach.

also assuming you do a 450mm foundation trench , you need 75mm so cavity wall is central on found.

Hi all,

We’re building our 3m single storey extension under permitted development at the moment. Couldn’t get PWA with one of the neighbours so will have to build within our boundary. Could someone please advise if there are rules about how close to neighbours fence you could build extension?

Our builders seem to think the side wall should be 15cm away from the fence but I couldn’t find any online guidance for this. Is anyone able to advise please?

Many thanks,
Leon
Who has drawn/designed your extension?

The usual or typical thing to do is look at the existing eaves detail (soffit overhang plus gutter) and work so that your extension replicates this without the gutter passing over the boundary. If your extension is proportionally smaller than say the main dwelling elevations then it makes sense to reduce or tailor the new eaves detail accordingly.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean, you "couldn't get PWA". o_O
It's not something that can be refused.

1mm from the boundary would be acceptable.

I'd like to see the roof detail on that one please. Any examples?
foto_no_exif (4).jpg

Oh Lordy!

And I thought it was just second storey dormers that were ugly. (n)
What my outfit?

Oh the detail. Well it works well with hipped roofs. It's just the principle y'know, not the end job. :rolleyes:

You can build the foundation right up to the boundary and build the wall on the edge of the foundation, that's what our builder did and the SE was happy with that.

Also as above the pwa can't be refused but it can cost you a few thousand which may make it uneconomical. Or it might prescribe something that you prefer not to do.

Also you can do a parapet wall with either a flat roof or whatever on the inside, it won't be as reliable as a pitched roof with gutter outside but you can claw back a decent amount of space with that detail.
I'm not sure if overhanging coping detail is really a trespass, I'm sure you can get a metal one that's weathered to the inside and flash it into the wall somehow meaning it will not really overhang. Might be one for your architect

Thanks for all the advice. We’re gonna have a lean to glass roof so no guttering on the side see example photo attached (please ignore the flank windows on the side).

We’d be happy with 1mm like woody suggested so will chat to the builders about it.

Just on PWA, we just don’t want to spend the time and extra £3000 on it.

Attachments

• C244CF23-6A96-4871-88F8-4706029C595B.jpeg
    C244CF23-6A96-4871-88F8-4706029C595B.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 118

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back