How deep Gas pipe in concrete floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a gas pipe extended to the other side of my kitchen for a cooker so need to cut a channel in my concrete floor.The Gas man is coming Thursday to do the work but i cant remember how deep he said the cut the channel .He's away on holiday so cant ask him.The old Steel pipe is only just below the surface.I've made it 2" so far
Will the new pipe be 15mm

thanks nyck

Sponsored Links
40mm is the depth below concrete slabs when pipe is run ouside.inside it says 25mm minimum cover above pipe

Sponsored Links
25mm + 15mm = 40mm

:oops:
sorry I'll just my coat

Taxi!!

Corgi Essential Gas Safety doesn't give a cover, they show it on the slab, and say it will take the shortest route, there will be no joints, and it will be protected ;)

DIA edition 4 page 115 gives a depth of coverin in a picture. so 40mm would be about right for 15mm pipe not allowing for protective cover around pipe

DIA edition 4 page 115 gives a depth of coverin in a picture. so 40mm would be about right for 15mm pipe not allowing for protective cover around pipe

I haven't got an edition on mine :rolleyes: probably as old as me then :LOL:

Its another of them questions where common sense should be all thats needed.

I thought he said 100mm and my bulider mate thought as deep as the screed ie:50mm thats why i asked ,i managed to cut a bit more so its 60-75mm .i've got some Metal box conduit would that class as protection for the pipe if the depths not enough?

I'll find out thursday

thanks nyck

taken from the relevant BS (6891 i think) a gas pipe laid in concrete must be corrosion protected and covered by minimum 25mm screed so the depth of the channel depends on the pipe diameter and the thickness of the corrosion protection

What i would suggest with the fashion for these big range style cookers i would run 22mm to cooker while the floor is up

I was looking through fred flinstones quarry for my 2005 copy of 6891.
and found this :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pipe buried in concrete screed shall be installed in accordance with Figure 5.
Where a pipe is buried in a concrete screed there shall be a minimum of 25 mm of cover above the pipe.
8.8.3 Pipes buried in concrete ground floors shall be protected against failure caused by movement. Joints
shall be kept to a minimum. Compression fittings shall not be buried in concrete screeds or concrete slab.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back