Gas pipe under solid floor - how deep?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Quick question for anyone in the know.

If i run a gas pipe under a solid floor how deep under does it have to be?
I would like to just chissel in a channel for it to lie then screed over that.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Sponsored Links
I mean to run it from one end of my house to the boiler, the mains supply comes in at the front, but my boiler is at the back of the house. The work I want to do is after the gas meter. How would I get the pipe from my front lounge to my boiler at the back in my kitchen? I can only see 2 options, through the first floor joists or through the solid ground floor.

you are not permitted to run a gas pipe.

Unless your corgi registered you are not allowed, by law, to install or work on any gas fittings, since your asking this question i would assume your not infact corgi registered and therefore you shouldnt be touching the pipe.

Your corgi installer will be able to tell you the safest way of running the pipe, so i suggest you speak to him/her first.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm not a corgi plumber at all but I wont be fitting it. I am mearly trying to prepare the building so that everything is in place for the installation. i.e. if the corgi plumber by law can run the pipe under a solid floor (which is what I would prefere as the property owner) then what kind of channel would it have to run through, how deep by building regs etc?

I will have to get in touch with teh plumber im using for the installation at some point but i figured it would be easier to get the info from this community.

i would speak to the plumber first, because if you call him after installing the pipe, when he hasnt seen how you've installed it, he may just say forget it.

Even if you have installed it to the correct specs, at the end of the day its his signature on the paper, and if you have done something wrong, he wouldnt want to be taking the blame!

2005 copy of 6891

Pipe buried in concrete screed shall be installed in accordance with Figure 5.
Where a pipe is buried in a concrete screed there shall be a minimum of 25 mm of cover above the pipe.
8.8.3 Pipes buried in concrete ground floors shall be protected against failure caused by movement. Joints
shall be kept to a minimum. Compression fittings shall not be buried in concrete screeds or concrete slab.

Pete

It also has to be able to move and be appropriately protected kept away from other services not interfere with the structure of the building not penetrate the dpc be made of appropriate material be big enough and tested appropriately before covering. Trivial!

you are not permitted to run a gas pipe.

Unless your corgi registered you are not allowed, by law, to install or work on any gas fittings, since your asking this question i would assume your not infact corgi registered and therefore you shouldnt be touching the pipe.

I understood it to be you have to be competent, not Corgi registered.

Being Corgi registered is ONE way of demonstrating competence.

It does not mean you have to be Corgi registered.

The only way you can proof competence, or not, is when you blow a house up or kill someone.

Hopefully Crappitta will stop all this nonsense.

I understood it to be you have to be competent, not Corgi registered.

Being Corgi registered is ONE way of demonstrating competence.

It does not mean you have to be Corgi registered.
If it's not the property you live in you have to be CR.
If you haven't been trained you won't know how to test the pipe, and probably other things you'd need too, therefore you aren't competent.

WTF ,when people come on asking a simple question does it end up in this holier than thou Corgi nonsense.

The guy asked a simple question where the pros and cons of running in the concrete or up and over could be given.

Fluffter has gave you the depth , but floors can either take minutes or hours to chop up depending on your luck, also you may come across buried water/radiator pipes or existing gas pipes and although it looks the shorter root it can work out as the most expensive.

And most guys would be clicking there heels if you chopped the floor for them

Up an over is usually quicker but if you have the scourge of the installer(laminate) then you maybe limited to concrete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back