How deep should lead flashing go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting back some lead flashing that has come adrift. It is at the juntion of our conservatory roof and the back of the house.
A builder put it up years ago and now it needs putting back properly.
What I would like to know is, how deep should it be set into the mortar between the bricks ?
Should it be 1 inch deep, 2 inches?
And have any of you got any tips on how to anchor it there, or does the mortar hold it in place?
Julia

Sponsored Links
You need to go about an inch in, and you hold the lead in place with wedges made from roll up lead strips. you can get especially made wedges(formed stainless steel) from your roofing supply shop which are very easy and quick to use but a little more expensive.
Go to http://www.leadroof.org.uk/html/2465.html for more info

You need to go about an inch in, and you hold the lead in place with wedges made from roll up lead strips. you can get especially made wedges(formed stainless steel) from your roofing supply shop which are very easy and quick to use but a little more expensive.
Go to http://www.leadroof.org.uk/html/2465.html for more info

Thanks, Leadman, that's great, just what I wanted to know. The link is helptul too. Cheers. Julia

if you are chasing in lead under a plastic window, be careful how you wedge the lead.

it can actually lift the sill. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Don't know exactly what depth the flashing should go into the mortar.but from memory my builder put it in about 2" and he secured it by rolling up some small off cuts of flashing and knocking it into the groove with a bolster chisel thus jamming it in place, he then told me no one uses mortar to fill the groove anymore as it usually cracks and falls out, he said to use lead mate a grey silicone sealant meant for this purpose.

no one uses mortar to fill the groove anymore as it usually cracks and falls out, he said to use lead mate a grey silicone sealant meant for this purpose.

Correct, but an inch is deep enough.

Don't know exactly what depth the flashing should go into the mortar.but from memory my builder put it in about 2" and he secured it by rolling up some small off cuts of flashing and knocking it into the groove with a bolster chisel thus jamming it in place, he then told me no one uses mortar to fill the groove anymore as it usually cracks and falls out, he said to use lead mate a grey silicone sealant meant for this purpose.

Hi Bryan,
I had not heard of leadmate but will look in the DIY place we go to. Thanks for telling me about it.

Also on the market named in the UK as hall clip. Just type it in on google or yahoo and you will find a supplier. I know Calder is selling the Borra clip. It's really easy to use and much better then lead wedges. As I may say :D

I always put mine in 2".

WHY?

A brick is 4" thick.

Removing 50% of the mortar depth is never healthy.

The flashing is unlikely to perform any better whether it is set in 10mm or 100mm.

Setting it in 25mm is a fail safe method, any more is a waste of effort.

Setting it in as deep as 50mm is pointless.

I've mentioned before that I work on a lot of heritage jobs and mostly flashings are fixed as said above. That said there have been times when due to particular masonary conditions the lead has been fixed with screws, i.e. the flashing has a turn up inside the chase to give it an internal vertical face that the screws with washers passed through. Not a popular method with the lads who had to fix it mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back