How do clean this window latch and what is it made of?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've managed to remove 70 years of paint from my two window latches. And I think if spruced up they could be quite nice.

But how do I get rid of that grime. And what are they likely to be made of? Brass, copper?

Any help appreciated.
Cheers.
IMG_20201212_152552.jpg IMG_20201212_152642_Bokeh.jpg IMG_20201212_152648_Bokeh.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hey there..
yes it is.. Ex-council, 1950's era I believe
Just givin it a tidyup!
Do you know what material it might be?

Hey there..
yes it is.. Ex-council, 1950's era I believe
Just givin it a tidyup!
Do you know what material it might be?

This place is 1955 and originally was built with Crittal, they were swapped out long ago, for wood, then alloy, now UPVC.

I would make a guess at cast-iron. Try a magnet on it, if it sticks its cast-iron, if not it is some sort of alloy casting.

Crittal are still on the go.

Hi Harry,
Thanks for that info
Just checked, the windows attracts the magnet, yet the latch arm doesn't.

I will be painting the windows this month, but the latch should look lovely when it's all nice and clean once i get all that grime off (already removed 4 layers of paint). Hopefully Brasso will do the job!

they are stupidly expensive

I quoted for doing a whole house in solid oak windows and was cheaper than crittalls.....but the customer wanted crittalls so never got the job

as a side note, my home is ex-council, yet the freeholder is Lambeth Council, (maybe one of the most inefficient and corrupt ones out there!) I've heard we may be forced to have the windows replaced, yet also being in a conservation area they will have to be replaced with the same(ish) style so it'll; cost a fortune.. !

as a side note, my home is ex-council, yet the freeholder is Lambeth Council, (maybe one of the most inefficient and corrupt ones out there!) I've heard we may be forced to have the windows replaced, yet also being in a conservation area they will have to be replaced with the same(ish) style so it'll; cost a fortune.. !

From what I remember of those and the alloy DG I replaced them with, they were terrible in cold weather constantly covered in condensation. They look good and let lots more light in though.

From what I remember of those and the alloy DG I replaced them with, they were terrible in cold weather constantly covered in condensation. They look good and let lots more light in though.
This thread has brought back memories for me. I was brought up in a council house in Scotland and when I was younger (in the 70's) I think we had those windows, certainly the latch was of that type, and I remember pools of water from condensation on the window sills. In the 80's the council fitted new windows, still single glazed, they were better to a degree but I think we still got a fair amount of condensation!

This thread has brought back memories for me. I was brought up in a council house in Scotland and when I was younger (in the 70's) I think we had those windows, certainly the latch was of that type, and I remember pools of water from condensation on the window sills. In the 80's the council fitted new windows, still single glazed, they were better to a degree but I think we still got a fair amount of condensation!

When this place was refurbed, it was done in winter. New plaster all round drying out and wood framed single glazed windows, in the midst of one of the coldest winters for years. The windows were almost permanently coated in ice. Last to be finished, was the CH, just in time for the spring :(

When this place was refurbed, it was done in winter. New plaster all round drying out and wood framed single glazed windows, in the midst of one of the coldest winters for years. The windows were almost permanently coated in ice. Last to be finished, was the CH, just in time for the spring :(
You've brought up another memory for me :) I seem to remember ice once or twice on the inside of the windows!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back