Night latch no longer needed. What to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a night latch in a composite door which we no longer need and we are using the euro cylinder below this exclusively

If i remove the night latch there will be unsightly holes in the door.

What can i do to disable the night latch but still have the door look somewhat normal

Sponsored Links
fill the hole with a wooden plug, which you can make by using a hole-cutter in a scrap door or piece of wood of the same thickness, glue it in place with a weatherproof glue such as Evo blue bottle

if you cannot fill and paint to hide it, put a brass or stainless fingerplate on the door to conceal it, matching the other door furniture.

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?query=fingerplate

If you want a brass finish, PVD plate on stainless is very durable and needs no polishing.

You can also get a round cover sized to conceal a yale-type cylinder hole, but I do not know the name for them. Like a blank escutcheon.

Dismantle it and take the latch out
Woody is this a easy job for a somewhat competent Diy'er? :D

I looked on YouTube and couldn't find a video on this surprisingly

fill the hole with a wooden plug, which you can make by using a hole-cutter in a scrap door or piece of wood of the same thickness, glue it in place with a weatherproof glue such as Evo blue bottle

if you cannot fill and paint to hide it, put a brass or stainless fingerplate on the door to conceal it, matching the other door furniture.

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?query=fingerplate

If you want a brass finish, PVD plate on stainless is very durable and needs no polishing.

You can also get a round cover sized to conceal a yale-type cylinder hole, but I do not know the name for them. Like a blank escutcheon.

If i try to cut and fill the hole, i know that I'll make a dogs dinner out of it and my missus when never let me hear the end of it..

Great shout on the blank escutcheon. We like that. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes take the lock off and they are just screwed together. You'll see what to do, never mind YouTube.

Woody is this a easy job for a somewhat competent Diy'er? :D

Screwdriver - unscrew the latch part from the inside of the door completely, usually just three screws into the wood. Under that, held by a couple more screws, is the actual part that the key fits into undo the two screws and that will come off too. Then use you chosen method to fill it, if you decide to do that.

Alternatively you could instead, just jam the latch permanently internally - so the door no longer latches and refit both parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back