Multipoint Locking System - any experts out there..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have recently had a new composite front door fitted with a multipoint locking system which i believe has a lever/lever operation (need key to open/lock from inside and outside).

Is is possible to change this lock or part of the lock system to a lever/pad operation or split spindle operation?

Or alternatively could a night latch be fitted (cylinder rim) to the door also keep my existing MPL? I don't know how much room the the night latch would need - i also have two glass panels in the door so space for a night latch could be a bit tight.

Any answers appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes it is possible to modify some multi-points but it depends on the system.
No you can not easily fit a rim lock type installation because the multi-point runs through the door.
There is a North South divide on how these systems work it seems in the North they prefer turn the handle and you open the door, in the South use the key. If you wish to change what you have perhaps speak to your original installers.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

Hi there. Read your post with interest as it mirrored a retrofit I did a while back where the customer had ordered a door, had it fitted and then realised because of the proximity to the road (front door opened straight onto the footpath) that she felt vulnerable to 'chance' burglars just walking in if she'd forgot to lock the door. The original supplier couldnt/wouldnt help and was just ars*y about it saying she'd need a new sash and lock system at £450. I managed to retofit a pad system for her, but in a PVC not composite - whether this makes a difference or not I don't know, I don't do composites!! I had to first obtain a new lock system with the correct backset and drill the second spindle hole, then rout a longer aperture for the lock block to accomodate the offset spindle assembly. Fortunately, the handle fixing holes were the same, so were the lock keeps so no frame mods :D . I would suggest asking your original supplier if they offered lever/pad as an option, and if so can you purchase just the lockblock assy, the refit the espagnoilette arms yourself. It might be a reasonably cheap fix to your problem. Good Luck. kev@KLPlastics

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back