How do I add a handle to a cupboard door like this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved into a new place and there's a cupboard door that, as pictured, has had a handle on previously, but it's been taken off. I'm renting so replacing the door is out of the question. There's no latch on the door, and no corresponding hole in the frame.

What I want to do is attach a door handle so I can pull the door open. I did think of buying a door handle and sticking the middle rod through the middle of the hole... until I figured that was a daft idea since it would just drop to the bottom of the hole.

Can anyone suggest how I can add a handle without replacing the whole door?

ctRwTYB.jpg

Sponsored Links
I assume the left of the picture is the inside of the cupboard and the right side is the outside. Is that correct?

If so, is there housing (or signs of one having been there) on the inside of the cupboard (attached to the frame inside)??

It looks to me like it had either had a yale-type lock OR a rim lock fitted before.

Either way, a yale lock or rim lock is normally secured by 3 screws (like the ones you picture) and the 'keep' is a separate part screwed to the frame.

I suspect a yale-type because there is no sign of any screw holes in the outer door handle area.

Could it have been a locked/secured cupboard?

B

There *is* something on the frame. I have no idea why I thought there wasn't.

H9Xvo3e.jpg

As for it being secured, I can't see why - it just contains a curtain rail. So I'm not looking to lock it myself, just add a handle so I can open it without putting my finger int the hole.

Sponsored Links
Any handle can be fitted to that door so fill your boots with whatever you choose

HOWEVER I get the impression you don't want to drill any holes in the actual door [as it is a rented property]

If so, then may I suggest this...

Find a handle which (a) screws in from the rear with a longish screw and (b) has a diameter large enough to exceed the diameter of the hole. Any standard round knob of a suitable size will do - they are very cheap to buy.

Get a thinnish offcut of wood long and wide enough to cover the hole from the inside.

Drill a hole in the scrap piece of wood and ensure that hole is in line with the hole in the centre of the outer handle. screw in the retaining screw for the door handle through the piece of wood in the inside and through the existing hole and into the rear of the handle. Tighten sufficiently so that the block of scrap wood in the inside holds firm against the inside of the door and thus holds the outer handle tightly against the outside of the door and covers the exisiting hole.

That way you don't have to do anything to the existing door and you can easily remove the scrap wood piece, screw and handle when you move out.

Of course, there are alternative methods..

B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back