Multipoint Door doesn't accept standard PZ92 240mm handles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a composite front door with a Multipoint locking system. My builders managed to break the door handle that came with it and replaced it with another handle.

Unfortunately they couldn't get the bottom screw in, but got the middle and top screws in. So it worked, but was slightly loose at the bottom. I assumed the replacement handle was the issue (wrongly). Measuring everything it appeared the door required a PZ92/240mm handle with 211mm between top and bottom screws.

But now the new handle has arrived and I've got two issues. Firstly 240mm is a couple of mm too short to cover the bottom hole in the door. Secondly while the top screw hole and spindle are fine, the bottom screw hole is just obscured by the frame part which holds the lock. Its only by a few mm's, but means the handle won't sit flush at the bottom and can't be screwed in at the bottom.

Should I be looking for a different type of handle? I can't seem to find any other handles which would have the screw holes at ~214mm as required.

Sponsored Links
Do you know who supplied/fitted the door? They should be your first people to call.

Failing that look here http://www.handlestore.com/info/sizes-upvc-door-handles/

and failing that try emailing the sizes to the guys at Northwesthardware

Thanks for the link, the D269 will fit (I only need the bottom screw to be a couple of mm lower). Its a Hoppe handle and I noticed they do the Tokyo in that size aswell so think I might go for that:

http://www.randrsecurity.com/Hoppe-...-215mm-Screw-Centres?language=en&currency=GBP

Now I have to figure out what to do with the other handle :/

Turns out it wasn't as simple as I thought :(

I ordered the Hoppe Atlanta PAS24 handle with 215mm screw centres. Unfortunately the bottom screw is a two part arrangement:

http://www.randrsecurity.com/image/...Upvc Handles/Accessories/L23966qb-700x700.jpg

The fat silver bolt in the above picture screws into the outer handle, then the shorter screw goes into that to secure the outer and inner handle. In practice this meant the fat bolt negated the extra 4mm (211mm v 215mm) clearance for the bottom screw.

So now I thought I'd take apart the offending cylinder holder and try to buy a shorter one, but it turns out it may not be the cylinder holder after all:

The cylinder sits in the multilock bar and the fixing screw goes through that. This appears to be some sort of cylinder protector, essentially sandwiching the cylinder from both sides. As it was installed it was pointless as the fixing bolt was on the outside (so could just be opened :/).

In any case I removed it and now either handle fits :) (although :( because if I'd done this sooner I wouldn't have had to buy the second handle).

The only difference I've noticed is when opening the lock the key will now spin past the open point. This is not a major problem for me as I need to push the handle down to disengage the multipoint locks anyway (if it was just a single point the key could open the latch previously). When closing the key stops turning when locked.

So my questions are:

1) Am I correct that this is some sort of cylinder protection?
2) Do I need it (I have an anti snap lock and PAS24 handle)
3) Is there any need to worry that when opening the key keeps spinning past the point where the door latch is opened?
4) If I do need it, is it possible to get a shorter one (I don't want to buy yet another handle)? What should I search for when looking for an alternative?

Thanks for any help, I've probably drivelled on a bit so I'll stop there.

Sponsored Links
Some more reading and I've found the answer to question 1 & 4. It is cylinder protection and its called a cylinder guard. Not sure about questions 2 & 3 though:

2) Do I need it (I have an anti snap lock and PAS24 handle)
3) Is there any need to worry that when opening the key keeps spinning past the point where the door latch is opened?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back