Can't find handles with the correct screw spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a 10 year old Barrett home, which has been built to a ridiculously high standard.. But only in some areas.

There are 3 external metal clad doors with Multipoint locks (Made by "Grid Lock") which are quite stiff and the handles have broken.

This has happened due to a combination of them being poor quality (only a guess as the external handles are badly pitted) and the previous owner perhaps being a little heavy handed.

I assumed it would be an easy job to replace them.. I measure them and found the distance from the Euro Lock to Handle was 92mm (common) and the screw spacing was approx 210mm (also fairly common).. So I ordered a Mila handle just to get the worst one fixed..

But when it arrived, I realised that there was more too it than that.. Whilst the screws are 211mm apart, the top one is about 64mm from the handle.. Where as on Mila (and most others) they are 75mm.

I have spent many hours looking at drawing of handles from pretty much every make.. And I have come to the conclusion that mine are not going to be easy to replace.

I have seen some 'adjustable' handles which look to be a bit of a bodge.. So my only hope now is to remove the lock to see if there are any other holes in it which can accommodate other screw positions.

Its crossed my mind that I am looking at the wrong handles.. I am looking at UPVC ones, where as my door is Metal. But from what I can tell, they are the same.

Incase it helps.. The measurements of my handles are.

Top Screw to Handle - 65mm
Handle to Lock - 92mm
Lock to Bottom Screw - 143mm

Does anyone have any thoughts about this and have any advice as to how i might source a handle that fits, or find a way to fit standard one.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Got a picture of your old handle , maybe some identifying marks on it

Good point.. See attached. There are absolutely no logos or makers marks on it at all...

What makes no sense is that they seem really poor quality.. The house is only 10 years old and the chrome is really pitted.. In contrast, a BUDGET UPVC door I fitted in my old house a similar time ago has a Chrome handle and its pretty much the same as the day I fitted it...

So its odd the handles are in such bad condition considering the general quality of the other components they used.

I was planning on asking around the neighbourhood to see if anyone else has found alternatives, but it turns out that because the houses were so expensive, the estate (of only 22 houses) took 5 years to build as they didn't sell as expected... So mine was built in 2010.. And the next door neighbours 2015.. So they are unlikely to share the same fittings.. But there are certainly going to be other houses in built the same time so I will ask around...

Jon

Attachments

• CIMG5583.JPG
    CIMG5583.JPG
    435.5 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Having done a little research , the handles ( and the locks ) pertaining to Gridlock are all discontinued , which will be why you can't find them. It would appear the ' Hoppe Birmingham Long Screw ' is the recommended alternative BUT that has 75mm spacing from handle to top screw. Some of the schematics I've seen for Gridlock show it is an elongated hole through the lock casing , which would very much indicate the 75mm instead of 65mm wouldn't make any difference. My suggestion would be to remove the lock from the door just to confirm this is the case, and seeing as you have the Mila handle with the same spacings as the Hoppe Birmingham you may well find it could fit. I can't see any other way around without taking the locking mech out it I'm afraid ( except a Universal Handle OR a fixing screw that will fall above the lock case , so possibbly 100mm or so from the spindle but don't think there are any like that! ) .

I hope this helps

Thanks for doing that research.. Looking through the top hole in the door, there appears to be a hole in the lock and not a slot... So I think it has to be 65mm.. That said, I have seen "Gridlock" locks that have 2 holes and perhaps there is another at 75mm spacing

The only way to find out is remove the lock and I have to do that anyway on one of the doors as its really stiff and I need to give it a good clean/oil..

So fingers crossed there will be more options.. If not, an adjustable handle may be the only way to go..

Once I get the lock out I will post a picture just incase it helps anyone in the future.

Cheers

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back