How do I change my radiator valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I have just bought a new radiator valve to replace my old one which is broken. (The TRV pin is stuck and I can move it both up and down with pliers but it does not spring back by itself even after lubing). I have actually bought a lockshied - I'm sure thats what it's called.

The actual changing of the valve is pretty basic I'm sure, just a case of unscrewing and screwing back on....however - I need to know about draining the radiators etc.

Do I have to drain them ALL!? And if so how do I do this? Is there one radiator that will have a draining tap and its just a case of opening this tap and draining it until nothing else comes out and then I can get to work replacing? Also...after the deed is done, do I then just refill them by turning the tap by my boiler until the boiler pressure shows normal?

Sorry for being such a damn novice! Thank youuuu :D

Extra note: In case it make a difference, I have a gas combi boiler.

Sponsored Links
plug the cold feed and vent from the central heating tank in the loft, to create a vacum, this will eliminate the need for a drain down and then putting inhibitor in the system

plug the cold feed and vent from the central heating tank in the loft, to create a vacum, this will eliminate the need for a drain down and then putting inhibitor in the system

he has a combi :confused:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back