Broken radiator drain valve?

Sponsored Links
I think best to change it quick or get the buckets on standby. :rolleyes:

the washer has jammed stuck, but could free itself and flood the place is tou leave the square ended threaded bit out. Personally I would turn both ends off to the rad, remove the rad and then connect a hose to the rad valve to drain. Job start to finish should take half hour.

the washer has jammed stuck, but could free itself and flood the place is tou leave the square ended threaded bit out. Personally I would turn both ends off to the rad, remove the rad and then connect a hose to the rad valve to drain. Job start to finish should take half hour.

The bit that's come out has no thread on it whatsoever, just a small rubber washer. It doesn't look like it's broken

Hate radiators with a passion!

Regarding the position of the drain valve. I'm putting on a downstairs rad, I can't really get under the floor without a lot of hassle. Thus, I can never FULLY drain the system can I? as there's always water in the very bottom of the pipes that run under the kitchen floor.

Sponsored Links
Without lifting the floor, you cannot completely empty the whole system, as you say.

How do you intend to fit a radiator downstairs without lifting the floor and running new pipework anyway?

If you have removed the square pin and the washer has come out with it, how come water isn't coming out, since there is nothing plugging the hole? My only guess is that there's part of the washer still inside - if you stick a small screwdriver through, this will release it. Make sure you have the hosepipe connected and hold your finger over the hole to prevent a very wet carpet!

I'm assuming that half the pin has broken off, the other half is inside.

Can you unscrew the serrated bit at the end to see if there's anything you could use long nosed pliers to grip. Unlikely, but worth a shout before you manually drain the rad.

Hi , I know this is an old thread now. But the same thing just happened to me, and I was wondering how you overcome this problem.

Many thanks

the square section has broken off if it's the same, new rad valve req

I gathered I would need a new valve. What's the cleanest way of draining the system as I can't open the valve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back