Drain sealed system with no drain valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Calling all experts. Can you help. I've read numerous posts about this topic but still not 100% best way to tackle it.

I need to replace leaking radiator valve and at same time fit drain valve.

I can't find any isolating valves either side of the pump on my combi boiler (Potterton Performa 24).

Can I use a self cutting tap on the pipework to drain down? One like this
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13768/Plumbing/Washing-Machine-Accs/Self-Cutting-Tap-15mm

Or would it best to remove and drain one radiator and then get some attachment with hose (any suggestions on attachment) and open rad valve and drain down.

Any comments would be greatfully received. Im not doing anything until Im 100% sure.

Sponsored Links
you can do it both ways.
if i need it done quick then i use a self cutting valve then fit a draincock.
or you can drain a rad and fit a draincock in pipework or rad valve with a draincock.

you can do it both ways.
if i need it done quick then i use a self cutting valve then fit a draincock.
or you can drain a rad and fit a draincock in pipework or rad valve with a draincock.

Agreed, but you may want to put the self cutting valve under a floorboard somewhere for future aesthetic qualities!!

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna opt for the self cutting tap option under the floor boards to get water drained and then replace with a copper pipe and then fit a Radiator Valve With Drain Off.

Do you get much leakage when screwing in the self cutting tap?

Sponsored Links
You can tighten the cap on the AAV on the boiler (and any other vent points on your system). You have then created a vacuum and can replace your leaky valve for new with a drain cock incorporated without draining it down. 25 Minute job at the very most.

I replaced 4 TRV's yesterday on a similar system and lost a couple of pints of water at most.

Dave

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna opt for the self cutting tap option and then fit a Radiator Valve With Drain Off.

Do you get much leakage when screwing in the self cutting tap?

No - you clamp the fitting around the pipe, which has rubber seals, and then the cutter goes through with hardly a drop, and remains in situ.

Thanks swinders.

I think Im still opting for the self tap option. Ideally I would like to follow your advice Soggy_weetabix but I im not really sure what the AAV cap is or where it is. :oops:

if your gonna replace with a rad valve with a draincock why go to all the agro of lifting floorboards cutting pipe then refitting pipe ?
just drain from a rad.

Result... I've just lifted the floor boards in the kitchen and discovered a drain valve.

I thought there had to be one somewhere. It was just lucky that the floor board I first pulled up it was right underneath.

Thanks for your help chaps.

Result... I've just lifted the floor boards in the kitchen and discovered a drain valve.

I thought there had to be one somewhere. It was just lucky that the floor board I first pulled up it was right underneath.

Thanks for your help chaps.

You see, I'm a psychic - follow my advice and it'll save you work :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back