How do I connect a dishwasher?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in these pages but if someone could help me out in plain english, that would be great.
I have just bought a dishwasher but need to know how to connect it when the existing pipes under the sink are already being used for the washing machine.
The installation instructions that came with the dishwasher are just badly illustrated drawings of what to do, and these pictures are no help at all!
There are two pipes to connect - one waste water pipe and another one which goes to either the hot or cold water pipe, (I'm not sure - maybe someone could help?).
I know that the waste water pipe (which is already connected to the dishwasher) needs to be connected to the waste water connection under the sink, but how can I do this when the washing machine waste water pipe is in there?
Also, how do I connect the other pipe to either the hot or cold water pipe when, again they are both already connected to the washing machine?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The dishwasher should be connected to the COLD water. Fit a T connector with a valve.

Thanks for the response.
Are you saying that I need 2 T-connectors and valves? If so, do I need any certain sizes, or are they all standard?
Basically, if I went to B&Q and asked for a T-connector and a valve, would they know what I was talking about?

better off with a Y piece, and yes tey will if you say wht you want it for

Sponsored Links
As breezer suggests, also, you can buy a double waste connector to replace the single you are using for the washing machine. May take a little modifying to fit though.

If you went to a plumbers merchants, they will probably even explain how to do it, I also doubt if you will pay much more for the items required. If you have a small local plumber (there are plenty about) they need YOUR business & even if they are run by grumpy retired plumbers they are usually helpful. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back