Washing machine and dishwasher connected to 1 sink trap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this possible?

I've been asked to install a dishwasher and washing machine, but on either side of the kitchen.

Dishwasher on one wall, washing machine on the other wall, and sink on the 3rd wall. He wants the waste pipes, from both appliances, to run inside the kitchen (behind the units) and connect upto the waste trap on the kitchen sink.

Now is it recommended to have the washing machine waste, dishwasher waste both connected onto the sink trap? Can you get a kithcen sink trap with which to connect 2 appliances?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Never seen a double spigot trap but this sounds like an awful layout. Any chance you can get the person who wants this work done to come up with a more sensible design? You'd really be better off with a separate waste for the 2 appliances going straight out to a gully or soil-stack, but this doesn't get round the problem of long horizontal pipe runs. If I were forced to do this I'd err on the side of caution and use 2" pipe and fit plenty of access points in case of blockages.

Thanks for the reply!

It is a bit of an odd layout but the guy is adament he wants it done this way.

What other options are their? Could i somehow connect up the waste pipes from the washing machine and dishwasher (even though they are on other sides of the room) onto one trap?

Is it possible to use a standard washing machine trap and upstand for a dishwasher?

Can you tell us the layout: is it machine/machine/sink or is it machine/sink/machine? The first is easier to handle. I think the way I'd do it would be to have the big pipe running round the wall at below plinth level with a trap and upstand for each appliance.

If you've got the second layout joining the new wastes together before going through the wall could be tricky. You could use a cross-tee and blanking plug to make the join and turn, but really you're better off keeping 2 separate pipes all the way to the drain (in which case 1.5" pipe would do the job).

Whatever layout try to get some fall on the pipes. The flatter they are the more the gunge will build up in them.

This whole idea sounds like the triumph of style over common sense.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply!

It is a bit of an odd layout but the guy is adament he wants it done this way.

Double Entry Trap
N858HMJB46YS.jpg
:?:

I bow to Johnmelad502's superior knowledge of the market. He clearly has a bigger pipe-wrench than me.

(I still think this is a crap idea though!)

I bow to Johnmelad502's superior knowledge of the market. He clearly has a bigger pipe-wrench than me.

(I still think this is a crap idea though!)

You been peeping? :eek:

I have used this when the washing machine and dishwasher were either side of the sink. If as I suspect one or both machines are some distance from the sink, I would be looking to take one or both through a wall and into a soil-pipe or drain.

I got an extension pipe for our dishwasher. The pipe runs along the floor and up into the sink cupboard, loops up to the top of the cupboard and down to the spigot, into the trap. Never had a problem. The washer is plumbed in "normally" with an upstand. I'd have serious doubts about the ability of the machine's built in pump over any longer distance though.

Hi all

Many thanks for the reply.

The guys finally got round to installing his new kitchenm well next week anyway. I'm going to pop round tomorrow to have a look and take measurements for this drainage. I'll post the pics up tomorrow so you guys can have a look and advise on the best course of action.

regards

Naz

Hiya, - I read this with interest as we're looking to buying a dishwasher.

But our small U-shaped kitchen has the zink at the narrow end and the washingmachine on the one 'long' side, so our only option is to put the dishwasher on the opposite long side. The dishwasher would be about 5.5 ft from the zink drain to the outside.

Now, we'd probably choose to have the store install it for us, but would/could they do so with such a layout? Would hate to buy the thing and pay for the installment only to discover that it's not possble...

Thanks

When the shop says they'll install the machine for you it only means they'll put it in an appropriately prepared hole (ie water and drain already laid on).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back