How do I cut 67 and 23 deg angles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm needing to cut 67 and 23 deg angles in beading - imagine a picture frame stuck on the wall, now skew it so it's in line with the bannister and stairs.

So I thought what I could do is get a hand/mechanical mitre saw, but everywhere I look, mitre saws come with a predefine spec of what angles it will do. 90, 45, 22, 30 etc

Surely it's possibly to set ANY angle on a mitre saw? I was expecting to see the details list as 1deg-170deg for example.

Failing that, any ideas how to do it? I've done one by hand but it's slow and tedious to get the ends to match up - and I have a lot to do

TIA
T3274_168639_00

Sponsored Links
just think 360 degrees as a complete circle
so half a circle is 180 center being 90 degrees go to 89 thats 91 or 85 will be 95 or 30 will be 150
just add to the 90 or remove from 180
on the saw you show there will be an allen /hex head bolt on the back on the pivot to secure in any position

Ah ok, so just to confirm - because this is where I wasn't clear - on a mitre saw I can set ANY angle, not just what they list in the description.

Here for example; http://www.screwfix.com/p/angled-compound-mitre-saw/59824
You're saying that it's not limited to just

45°
50°
60°
67.5°
75° & 90° Cutting Angles

If so, why do they list those angles in the description?

because they are notched positive locating point in high normal use positions located by operating a lever or other quick operated device in seconds to use
otherwise use the hex screws at the back for unlimited angles

Sponsored Links
Ah fantastic! Then it sounds like this will do the job :) Thank you :)

Bear in mind with the saw pictured you will have to get inventive to cut 23 degrees as those saws only have a 90 degree range of movement from 45 degrees one way, through 90 degrees to 45 degrees the other way.

In other words you won't be able to just lay your piece of wood along it like normal and make a 23 degree cut - you'll have to place the wood at 90 degrees to normal operation.

yes a selection off shims wood offcuts what ever to lift it off the face by at least the amount you need
say you need an extra 5 degrees to 50 you will need to space it off the face by around 13mm just off to the side off the blade on the side where the timber touches at the far end
the confusion comes because zero on the saw is actually 90%
if you look at professional saws the will go from say 50% one side and 60% the other side

Last edited:
I think I understand, my friends mum has just said I can have her late husbands, so before I spend any money I'll experiment with that and see how it goes.

The plan was sticking beading to the stair wall was going to be cheaper and easier than panelling the stairs :p - we'll see!

Of course you could get 3 pieces of scrap timber and create a mitre block for your specific angles...

Have a look at this diagram...

miterSawWedge.png

The top picture is the finished cut, at 67.5° from a straight 0° cut, which a normal mitre saw won't do (as has been mentioned). The bottom picture shows where to clamp an angled wedge to achieve the cut you want by setting the saw at 45°. Clamp everything down nice and tight before making the cut, because cutting like this, you've part lost the safety/security that the back fence usually provides.

Gaz :)

But it will do 67.5 if it's on the details of the product page right?

But it will do 67.5 if it's on the details of the product page right?

Depends where you are measuring from! See this graphic, it's shows two scales. The blue numbering is degrees from the fence and the black numbering is degrees from the 'normal' perpendicular cut.

mitersaw-gauge-angles.jpg

The mitre saw you link to on screwfix is giving those angles on the BLUE scale. In otherwords, if you need to make an acute mitre joint like this...

CompleatedMitre.jpg

...then it can't do it without making some sort of jig like in the picture I posted further up with the 22.5° wedge.

HTH

Gaz :)

normal saws will only do 45 from the 90% some will reach 60
all depends on whether it 67.5off the back face or off the 90%

Ah I see, yeah I need to make cuts like that frame picture, 67deg for half and 23 for the other half - to make the "square". And I understand your wedge part

I look forward to experimenting tomorrow :D

So I picked up the mitre saw from my mates mums house - had a few subtle "I'll see you for a screw" jokes at my friends expense as you do.
I've just given it a go and that looks like it's going to work really well - using you block graphic there @rsgaz - thank you.
I just need to go a grab some WD40 and a new blade as it's been sitting in her shed for about 10 years :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back