How do I cut a plastic box without shattering the plastic?

If you're going to cut it, warm it first. Grinding or melting brings its own heat

Sponsored Links
No , no pressure is required to melt .
Yes, i get that.
What i'm looking for is a simile to describe how much pressure is best -
Something like: 'a hot knife through butter', or 'it's like cutting cold fruit cake'.

Depending on finish required, for the edges and the speed of delivery, I would use a multitool with grout remover (diamonds) or stitch drill with Dremel and 'pop -pop-pop' connect the dots cutting little by little with Stanley knife.

Melting-stinky and horrible. Angle grinder hard to stop it melting and dangerous.

Yes, i get that.
What i'm looking for is a simile to describe how much pressure is best -
Something like: 'a hot knife through butter', or 'it's like cutting cold fruit cake'.
Hot knife thru butter would be a good comparison .

Sponsored Links
Surely, whichever technique you use, the integrity of the lip will be compromised? Pick up the box when loaded and it may well split.

For what purpose are you cutting the slot out?

Might you be better drilling a hole (diameter equal to the width of the slot) in the centre of the lid?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back