How do i remove a plastic pipe end fitting???

23 Dec 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom

This may sound like a silly one, but about 2 months ago the pipe to the outside water tap burst a leak about a foot from the tap itself. At the time the pipe was cut and a plastic push in type fitting was placed at the end of one of the pipes to stop leaks.

Now with the better weather here i want to use the outside tap again, so i was looking at joining the pipe up with another plastic push in connector that will connect the gap in the pipes.

However i just cant seem to remove the old fitting off the end of the pipe? Iv tried pulling it with all my power, but nothing, it didnt even budge.

Am i doing something wrong? And if so, how do i remove it in the right way?

Many Thanks.
Sponsored Links
most have a plastic collet between the pipe and fitting that needs to be pushed back into the fitting as you pull the fitting off.

Some require a special tool that fits between the pipe and fitting to depress the collet.

Some also have a twist-lock ring that needs to be loosened to free the collet
Assuming its a speedfit end fitting (white plastic)- simply push the fitting in onto the pipe, grip the plasticring with finger and thumb and pull closing the gap between the cap and the ring. Then, keeping these pulled together, pull the whole thing off with a slight twisting motion. If you turn off the water and and release some pressure by turning on the kitchen tap, it will make it a lot easier. View media item 21344
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local