Cutting cut-outs out of an FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing my second FCU of the day. On the first one, the cut out came out perfectly first time. This is the cut-out on the rim of the FCU that lets you run a flex into the unit.

The second one was not so good. I tried using a stanley knife (which worked fine on the first one) and ended up with a face full of plastic shards! Then I thought "I will nibble it out with some snippers". One nibble and the corner shattered off. :mad:

One trip to Wickes later and I have another FCU (albeit now a Wickes branded one).

My question is: what is the correct method to remove the cut-out? I am using a brand new Stanley blade so it definitely isn't blunt! I don't have a rasp or file to hand unfortunately, or I would try that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tip... I really must get a junior hacksaw. I have the big one but you know how it is when you go into a tool shop, you always want to buy the big tools. No-one wants the little tools (according to Cosmopolitan, anyway ;) )

In the end, I held the FCU down on an old wooden stool, resting on the face that the flex is to come out of. Then I very carefully drilled through from the inside with a wood bit on a slow speed. The stool stopped the drill bit from shattering the outter side, and also gave a good surface to hold it all against.

Don't know if I would want to use the drill technique again, if you do a few then there is a risk of getting complacent and that is when drills start going through fingers.

Now your other half is going to remove your gonads for drilling into the stool which belonged to her Great Great Grandmother and is worth 1500 sovs.......

Sponsored Links
Nah, I paid attention to what Cliff Richards sang about in Summer Holiday, so a bachelor boy am I.

It's yin and yang: the yin being that I can leave my flat as messy as I like, with tools spread all over the living room floor. The yang being that when I want it tidied I have to do it myself ;)

But from my experience, girls never REALLY remove your gonads, they just say it... I mean, if they could handle the right tools to do it, they wouldn't have needed us there in the first place! :p

(And I wonder why I am single...)

Oh, boy.

Remember Lorena Bobbit??

Cut off her other half's (John Wayne Bobbit) c*ck while he was asleep and later threw it into the gutter from a car window.

Police had to search for it.

Happily, it worked well after being reattached, and he went on to star in p*rn movies. Not sure what's happened since.

They got back together! I remember it being featured on "The Word"... Still, I suppose if your wife cuts it off with a carving knife then the least she can do is let you have a go at being a po*n star.

They actually showed it on "The Word", had a bl**dy great kink in it afterwards if I recall. :confused:

Anyway, any more ideas on removing cut-outs from FCUs? :D

I always find very gently with pin nose pliers works for me. (Talking about FCU's not John Wayne Bobbit!!)

Use a small round file - that works well, and leaves a safe smooth edge, won't chaff the cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back