Timer Tripping (or not)!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have the following set up that trips immediately I turn the switched FCU on. Can anyone explain why?
I had a radial circuit to bathroom (built in former garage space) to switched FCU (with 13A fuse) to electric towel radiator and all works perfectly.
I wanted to add an electronic timer between the FCU and the radiator.
A few years ago a spark tried to fit one for me but it kept tripping (even after exchanging the timer thinking it was faulty) so he gave up and fitted a blank on the box.
Recently I decided to have another go. Unfortunately the spark had cut the cables to minimum to fit them in connectors behind the blanking plate. So, firstly I extended both cables with spare lengths of 2.5mm cable (via the connectors) and wired to the new timer. The timer came on and went off as planned - Happy days :D
I cut the “test” cables to fit in a deeper pattress and reconnected to the timer and fitted to the new pattress.
Now, immediately I switch the FCU on it trips at the board!
Confused? I am! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have the following set up that trips immediately I turn the switched FCU on. Can anyone explain why?
What trips? An MCB or RCD?

I wanted to add an electronic timer between the FCU and the radiator.
Why not just replace the FCU with a timed one? :confused:

Now, immediately I switch the FCU on it trips at the board!
Confused? I am! :confused:
If it works when not fitted into the back box and causes a trip when it is then there's probably a trapped wire somewhere creating an earth fault.

What trips? An MCB or RCD? = RCD

Why not just replace the FCU with a timed one?
= I already have two sunken boxes so I will still have two boxes either way (FCU inc timer + blank or FCU + Timer)

If it works when not fitted into the back box and causes a trip when it is then there's probably a trapped wire somewhere creating an earth fault. = Have checked for this but will check again

Thanks

icon_quote.gif

Sponsored Links
I already have two sunken boxes so I will still have two boxes either way (FCU inc timer + blank or FCU + Timer)
Well, you do now (although could you not get rid of one?)

But at the time, why have a new hole in the wall and 2 accessories rather than just put a timed FCU in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back