Hide storage heater cables in the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a storage heater and have recently redecorated the room. The storage heater wires now look really out of place so I was wondering if it would be OK for me to hide them in the wall.

We have 3 units on the wall. From left to right we have a 20A DP switch for the storage heater, a 13A FCU (that originally connected direct to the standard heater) and a timer switch for the heater that is powered from the 13A FCU.

The timer switch is mounted in an external box so I was thinking of installing a 3-gang metal backbox for it. Behind the plasterboard is a 25mm~ air gap where I could easily fit the cables.

I believe the existing heater cables are 1.5mm. So, do you think it would be suitable for me to hide the cables in the air gap, or should I uprate them to 2.5mm instead (if possible, I'll have to check the heater terminal sizes)

Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• 20160926_181541~01.jpg
    20160926_181541~01.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You don't need an FCU,

nor a timer really, although it could be placed in the consumer unit area,

so just move the switch nearer to the heater - or vice versa.

You don't need an FCU,

nor a timer really, although it could be placed in the consumer unit area,

so just move the switch nearer to the heater - or vice versa.

Only we don't know if the FCU is on it's own circuit - if not fitting the timer at the cu may not be possible. And the FCU would be needed.

Running the cables in the 'air gap' may be possible, but need to be in 'safe zones'.

Sponsored Links
Mini trunking could be painted and would look better than the cable(y)

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back