Dual Fuel Towel heater in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to put a dual fuel towel heater on the wall next to our bathroom sink.

I also want to fit a timer like this http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hea...tors/sd2672/Heating+Element+Controller/p52631

Here is a diagram of what it will be like.

The power will come via a spur from the bedroom behind the sink. This will go to a switched FCU, which will then go to the timer and out to a wall plate into the towel heater.

The timer is rated IPX5.

The house is fully 17th edition Part P compliant (I even have the certificate :) ).

The wiring will all be 2.5mm twin & earth cable chased into the plaster and will be tiled over. The switched FCU, timer and outlet plate will be in 25mm deep metal back boxes also chased into the plaster.

The central heating pipe work for the entire house is copper and the boiler pipe work is earth bonded.

I’ve looked at a bathroom zones diagram and it all looks ok to me, or is there something I’ve missed?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Fine, although a better option is to put the element on the left side, and have the flex into the FCU, no need for a separate outlet plate.

Fine, although a better option is to put the element on the left side, and have the flex into the FCU, no need for a separate outlet plate.

Thanks for replying

Do you mean by using a switched FCU with a built-in flex outlet ?

Here is an example http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fused-Connection-Switched-Outlet-CMA052/dp/B007WSXMOY

So it would end up like this.

I've never seen inside an FCU with a flex outlet, so I don't know how they work. Would I need to use a bit of chocblock to go from twin & earth to the flex or are there special terminals inside for doing this or have I misunderstood what you're getting at?

Hi, no you are correct, you would have to connect the element cable to the directly to the timer. So, your flex plate is required.

Well done !

Kind regards, DS

PS You could put the FCU in the bedroom and put your flex out in its place.

:D

Sponsored Links
There are no spare terminals inside an FCU to use to connect the output from the controller to the towel rail flex. You'd need to use some choc-block, or crimps. Or run a continuous length of flex from the towel rail, in through the aperture in the FCU, and up the wall to the control.

BTW - the elements in duel-fuel towel rails don't last long - you might be better off just getting a factory sealed electric only one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back