Timed towel rail and fan heater...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What i'm proposing to do is hit one button on a timer, which will turn on a heated towel rail and fan-heater for a pre-set time.

I'm thinking, take a 2.5mm spur from an RCD protected ring to a switched FCU

CM2368.jpg

then into the timer.....

HOE30.jpg

then take two 1.5mm feeds from the load side of the timer to two

CM2365.jpg
CM2365.jpg

one 3A for the rail (600w) and one 13A for a wall fan heater (2Kw)

Q. In theory it will work, but is any of it aloowed under regs ?
Q. Would it be ok to take two feeds out of the timer ?
Q. Should the above un-switched FCU's be switched ?
Q. can either the non-switched or switched FCU's be mounted in the bathroom (zone 3) next to the two appliances ?
Any help or suggestions please.... :)

Sponsored Links
looking to dry-line the walls shortly, so any comments on the above would be appreciated, before I lose access to the stud walls.

ps

the wiring would definately be ok outside of a bathroom but im unsure about the zoneing issues

It's a loft conversion, bedroom/bathroom. having all these switch plates and FCU's on the same wall will make it look unsightly, as its part of the bedroom wall. I also have a D/P sower and a T/P fan isolation switched to fit.

Ideally i'd like to utilise the FCU's in the bathroom as both a means to connect the flex and as the fuse. They will be on the opposite wall from the shower and basin, well outside of zones 1 & 2.

This set-up is purely for the lazy teenager son of mine who never seems to be able to switch anything off !!!! and being in the loft, where I don't want to venture that often, don't want the 2K fan left on all day !!

Any other comments re: siting FCU's in the bathroom or anything else about this set-up welcome.

Sponsored Links
To me, your solution sounds OK... Could you possibly hide the timer unit and the first FCU in a built-in wardrobe in the bedroom (for example)? Then you only need have the FCUs as flex outlets in the bathroom itself.

Siting of FCUs in a bathroom: well, would they sell electric towel rails if you couldn't have an FCU in Zone 3? The only thing I am concerned about (I have raised this before) is the risk of condensation from tiles dripping down into then. Never did get a satisfactory answer on that one!

The timer will be placed at light-switch height at the bathroom door, so a quick press of the button sets off the heater and towel rail, it's not an automatic timer, needs a manual press of the button, just as you go to have a shower. In fact, i'll probably replace the one shown above as 1/2, 1 and 2 hours are too long. They do make a 15min,30min and 1hr version.

Yup, condensation, specially as this will be produced from a heated towel rail with a damp towel on it and a "cold" tiled wall. This was why i was wondering as to if it is permissable to fit the FCU in the bathroom, or having to site them out of the room and use blank flex-outlets only....

PL00621-01.jpg

but makes little difference if there is a fuse holder in it as would be affected in the same way. Perhaps a bead of silicone round the top and sides - just to make sure.

Is it just this country that has such stringent laws ? I was in a hotel in Rome, the on-suite was a "wet-room" and inside it had a mains socket and a wall mounded light switch :eek: !!!!

P.S. said:
Perhaps a bead of silicone round the top and sides - just to make sure.

Is it just this country that has such stringent laws ? I was in a hotel in Rome, the on-suite was a "wet-room" and inside it had a mains socket and a wall mounded light switch :eek: !!!!

I will be putting a bead of silicone around my towel-rail FCU when I have tiled my bathroom. Not ideal, but the FCU isn't likely to be moved frequently (or ever!) so re-sealing won't be a major inconvenience. The switch still concerns me, but when I asked before no-one seemed to know. Perhaps this is an overlooked area of the regs! FCUs on a tiled wall in a bathroom.

That Rome wet-room sounds "shocking". :rolleyes: I have never understood the need for a mains outlet in a bathroom anyway, other than for a hairdrier I suppose... but British people manage to wait until they are in their bedroom before they plug in the blower, it isn't a real problem!

Try Malaysia, British style sockets with European wiring practices. Go into a bathroom in a Malaysian hotel and you'll find a British socket right next to the bathroom sink. :eek:

Don't get me started on other wiring there...

I have experience of Malaysian electricity too! The earth is seldom connected on outlets.

Proper nutters they are.

hey,

enough of the dodgy wiring around the world, what about mine ?

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back