Power in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently in the process of a full bathroom makeover. We are positioning the basin in a 900mm gap between the soil pipe and a wall. The wall will have a dual fuel towel radiator on it.

I plan on making a cabinet that disguises the stack, similar to this:

There will be a mirror behind the basin, and 12v LED down lighters above it.

In the panel to the right of the sink, I would like to include
1) A switch for the lights above the sink
2) The controller for the towel rail
3) A shaver outlet socket
4) Controls for mirror heater

This is the controller for the towel rail is http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hea...+Element+Controller+TCP200/d230/sd2672/p52631 and will be wired into an RCD protected ring via a fused spur in an adjacent bedroom.

Shaver outlet will be a standard one with iso transformer built in.

Only things I'm unsure of is how to switch the lights and mirror heater.

I can run wires inside the right hand panel of the cabinet as it is hollow.

Where would I stand with regards to regs on this one? I can always use IP rated gear if needed and house the low voltage transformer in the cupboard above the basin.

Cheers,
Fubar.

Sponsored Links
Where would I stand with regards to regs on this one?
Electrical equipment must be suitable for its environment and use.

I can always use IP rated gear if needed
Given how susceptible it will be to splashing, I think that would be essential.

Trouble is IP rated switches will look naff.

Consider ELV ones controlling contactors to do the 230V switching - you can get proximity ones which could go behind the mirror. Or you might find a range of 12 or 24V switches meant for boats which look OK.

[EDIT]Typo corrected[/EDIT]

Cheers ban-all-sheds. Or is it sheds, or ban?

Yea, I have no desire for clunky IP switches. I thought about putting switches on the 12v side, but then the transformer would be permanently on.

Are there any specific requirements for what you can use to drive contactors? (i.e. does equipment need to be certified, or could I just wire in some automotive 12v IP rated switches?)

Cheers,
Fubar.

Build a cabinet into the recess, into which you mount pullcord switches for your gear.

Make your heated mirror the door to the cabinet.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys. On consideration, I'll probably stick with contactors and a low voltage circuit... OR, mount switches to the FRONT of the cabinet on the right hand side.

Cost is a bit of a premium on this one :unsure:

Fubar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back