How do I deal with crumbly bodging underneath my roof tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My loft is dry, but the stuff I'm storing in their constantly gets showered with dust and chunks of crumbly lime. My house is ex-council, built in the 1950s, in which they used bodging on the underside of the tiles. ( This has been dropping off bit by bit for several years, and I want to do something about it to keep it cleaner up there. I was thinking about lining the underside of the rafters by screwing on plywood, so that when lime does fall, it'll slide down onto the floorboards in the eaves and so away from the stuff I'm storing up there. Is there a better way of me doing this? I know that whatever I do, I've got to leave at least 50mm of space between whatever material I use and the tiles themselves, but that's about the extent of my knowledge I'm afraid! I've found out from http://www.askjeff.co.uk/roofing.html that using spray foam is a bad solution, because it kills the roofs ability to breathe & move, and I also won't be able to reuse any of my slates when reroofing is eventually due.

Also, should I be concerned about the lime dropping off? I can see little spots of daylight shining between the slates in a number of places but everything in the loft (including papers not in boxes) is completely dry. There's obviously no roofing felt / liner under the tiles; they're just nailed straight onto the battens, with bodging stuck top and bottom to the underside of them.

Hope you can help me!

Thanks. :eek:)

PS *The origin of the term "bodging" is the old custom of sealing the headlaps of roof tiles by trowelling on lime-and-horsehair mortar from the inside. This traditional practice stopped rain or snow being blown in, whilst still allowing the roof to "breathe" - Sunday Telegraph article.

Sponsored Links
You`re correct on all your ideas - But the ST is not :LOL: A bodger is a green wood turner ;) Torching is what they are on about

Sponsored Links
The membrane is pretty robust it wont go anywhere if it is adequately stapled.
Mind felt from the ridge down with a good 100mm overlap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back