how do I find my Bosch driver underneath loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I probably left my driver in my loft before it was insulated :oops: is there a resonably easy way of finding it? Someone suggested using a stud detector. Do you think it'll work? If so which one should I use? Thanks

Sponsored Links
stud detector wont work, they are crap at the best of times, but it would give you false readings against the other stuff in the loft like cables etc and you'd have to hold it a uniform distance above the insulation for the whole square footage. quicker just to lift the insulation.

stud detector wont work, they are crap at the best of times, but it would give you false readings against the other stuff in the loft like cables etc and you'd have to hold it a uniform distance above the insulation for the whole square footage. quicker just to lift the insulation.
i was worried you might suggest that :eek: I know more or less where the wires run and I can run the stud detector from the ceiling side. Does that make a difference or do you still think i need to lift the insulation?

If you're talking about a cordless drill / driver (OK I just read the title properly! :)) then a compass will find the permanent magnets in the motor. Might be awkward doing it from below though, unless you have a compass that will work inverted.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If it was insulated by someone else then try looking in their van. :mrgreen:

If you're talking about a cordless drill / driver (OK I just read the title properly! :)) then a compass will find the permanent magnets in the motor. Might be awkward doing it from below though, unless you have a compass that will work inverted.
Will this compass do the job? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....57919245&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160[/QUOTE]
Short answer is I don't know. I thought about using a compass, and tried it here with a drill to see if it'd work. It does.
Just thinking about it I'd have thought a clear compass might be better that you can view from below when it's near the ceiling. Something like this perhaps that looks as if it's clear.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Outd...gGoods_HikingEquipment_RL&hash=item485a3b962a
The nearer you can get the compass to where the tool might be, the stronger the reaction the compass will give.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If an insulating company was doing the job and they came across a power tool a) they wouldn't be so stupid as to cover it up or b) just accept that it isn't there any longer ! Sometimes you just have to accept that having an off-day has to be paid for.

Ok, I'm sure I must be missing something somewhere.

Why can't you just lift it up? Or even pat all over it to find it? :confused:

If an insulating company was doing the job and they came across a power tool a) they wouldn't be so stupid as to cover it up or b) just accept that it isn't there any longer ! Sometimes you just have to accept that having an off-day has to be paid for.
I've got no problem with that. But spending 10 min to look for it isn't too bad

Ok, I'm sure I must be missing something somewhere.

Why can't you just lift it up? Or even pat all over it to find it? :confused:
I would but i boarded up some of it already. It's pretty easy to lift the boards but only if needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back