Combi or Impact driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a Bosch SDS Plus (GBH 2-26) which I use to put holes in concrete.

I'm going to do some work in my floors and I'll have to put some additional wood screws in floor boards. I think (I'm a new diy-er) I obviously can't use my SDS plus to put wood screws in floorboard. So I'm now looking for additional driver.

Which one should I buy? Should I buy combi drill which I can also use for lighter drill work (like drilling ceiling or plasterboard) or should I buy impact driver? or should I buy cordless screwdriver - but I think it won't do both drill and screw at the same time like combi or impact driver.

or is there anyway I can use my SDS plus (with some adapter) to screw the floorboard?

Any help or suggestions please.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
in general without fail a combi drill
impact = heavy to very heavy screwing and driving
a hammer drill = masonery screwing and drilling and will cover an impact 90% with the other 10 % a spanner will do[coach bolts final few mm]
impact can do some drilling but more crudly with less control and more expensive drill bits

Combi. Far more versatile than an impact driver. Can drill wood, metal, light masonry, etc using off the shelf bits. Impacts are really a bit of a one trick pony (driving screws) even if you are prepared to "pony up" the extra cost of 1/4in hex drive bits, which are a lot more costly.

Sponsored Links
Probably a bad idea because an SDS is usually a huge, heavy thing.

I have an adaptor for my SDS but have never needed it. My combi can drill inch holes through fence posts and can drive big screws.

I use an 18v which to me is light and handy and has sufficient power for everything except concrete.

buy yourself a combi.

an impact driver cant drill, so its use is limited, anyway the noise they make is irritating.

surprisingly the 18v combis will drill pretty well into masonry -Ive drilled through cavity walls with a 14mm bit with them to push through small SWA cable.

if you want, though I use an 18v cordless. I have a corded drill like that, and can't remember when I last used it. I think it's on a garage shelf in a dusty box. It doesn't have torque control and I wouldn't use it for screws.

A corded one is less convenient, though has more power for the money, and of course, as long as the flex is long enough, the battery won't run down. But I find with two batts and a nearby charger, my cordless can screw down floorboards without needing to pause for much more than a teabreak. I think I ran flat when screwing decking boards, with quite big screws.

I have two, one of them is like this
T3274_141178_00

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-18V-Li-ion-Cordless-Combi-Drill-with-2-Batteries/p/141178
with two batteries, a charger, and a carry case where you can keep drills, bits and plasplugs.

The other is a very similar Titan from Screwfix. Good enough for DIY work. Their cheap range is branded Mac Allister now.

If you want you can buy better quality for more money, or a cheap one from Aldi or Lidl. The guarantees are quite good, so plan to get your money's worth in the first two years, and if it still works after that, it's a bonus. Mine do.

I rarely need my big SDS+ for work round the house.

A
if you want, though I use an 18v cordless. I have a corded drill like that, and can't remember when I last used it. I think it's on a garage shelf in a dusty box.

A corded one is less convenient, though has more power for the money, and of course, as long as the flex is long enough, the battery won't run down. But I find with two batts and a nearby charger, my cordless can screw down floorboards without needing to pause for much more than a teabreak. I think I ran flat when screwing decking boards, with quite big screws.

Agree, I'll go with good combi. Thank you again. :)

I have two, one of them is like this
T3274_141178_00

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-18V-Li-ion-Cordless-Combi-Drill-with-2-Batteries/p/141178
with two batteries, a charger, and a carry case where you can keep drills, bits and plasplugs.

The other is a very similar Titan from Screwfix. Good enough for DIY work. Their cheap range is branded Mac Allister now.

If you want you can buy better quality for more money, or a cheap one from Aldi or Lidl. The guarantees are quite good, so plan to get your money's worth in the first two years, and if it still works after that, it's a bonus. Mine do.

I rarely need my big SDS+ for work round the house.

Thanks. The mistake I did was, I spent £100+ on a bosch sds+ as my concrete wall was very hard to drill. Now I've to spend another £70 ish on combi. And I'm just a diy starter.

So I was thinking if I could use an adaptor in sds+ which would do what the normal combi does. As its a no-no, I was then thinking about selling my sds+ and buying corded drill (like the one I posted in my previous reply) which would do both combi job and will also help to drill into my concrete. But I was wrong again.

I now have to bite the bullet and buy a combi while SDS sleeps in my shed.

It's a better brand, at a higher price, and it only has one battery

I suspect most users will say two batteries are much more convenient

But if you like it, get it.

It's a better brand, at a higher price, and it only has one battery

I suspect most users will say two batteries are much more convenient

But if you like it, get it.

I'm also after this one - https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-mscd18-li-2-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/317fx

but the reviews are not great and it's brushed(!) drill.

And the reviews from wickes one is not great either.

I'm trying to decide between wickes / screwfix one and Dewault. Cheap brand with 2 batteries vs Dewalt with one battery.

I have no problem with brushed. Energy efficiency is said to be lower but speed control is better.

Macallister is a very budget brand. I have not used it. With cheap tools, buy them just as you start a major project, so if it breaks you can take it back.

An extra battery for the Dewalt looks very expensive. Keep an eye out for special offers, usually just before a bank holiday weekend.

i hear shipments of Chinese exports are six months behind due to lockdown, so many goods are in short supply.

I have no problem with brushed. Energy efficiency is said to be lower but speed control is better.

Macallister is a very budget brand. I have not used it. With cheap tools, buy them just as you start a major project, so if it breaks you can take it back.

An extra battery for the Dewalt looks very expensive. Keep an eye out for special offers, usually just before a bank holiday weekend.

i hear shipments of Chinese exports are six months behind due to lockdown, so many goods are in short supply.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back