Bosch Impact Driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two Bosch Pro cordless drills and find it really useful being able to use one as a drill and one as a driver without swapping bits.

Anyway, one of them is on it's last legs and I'm looking to replace it with an impact driver. I'm struggling to decide between the 18V range (compatible with my existing batteries) or the 12V range (much smaller and lightweight).

Ordinarily I would just have bought the one that's compatible with my existing kit however there are some great deals on the 12V at the moment - I can pick up the 12V impact driver and 2 x 2.0Ah batteries for about £95 which makes it barely more than the 18V impact driver bare or even the kit with the 12V combi drill and impact driver and 2 batteries for about £150, giving me a lighter weight drill as well.

Is the heavier duty one a lot better or will I appreciate having the lighter weight tools more? I don't find my current drills excessive in weight so if I'm likely to be disappointed or find the 12V models underpowered I'd rather go for the 18V.

What are people's thoughts?

Sponsored Links
12v might be ok if your driving screws no bigger than 25mm long and not that many of them.

I don't use the Bosch 12v but I do use Makita 10.8v tools and for the vast majority of work the drills and drivers have replaced my 18v stuff as go-to. My 18v drills and drivers are now really just for when I'm doing my first fix work around concrete and steel all day.

I have a 10.8v BL Impact driver that I've used to sink 150x6 screws into walnut and maple, no bother.

I also have a 10.8v angle driver that I use to get into hard-to-reach spots and fasten M8 bolts or drive screws.

If the Bosch is comparable and these days I think they're a lot better they should do well for the majority of tasks.

The EC/Brushless will perform better overall.

Just as a side note, Milwaukee have recently re-issued their 12v impact driver and it outperforms some 18v models on the market.

keep in mind 10.8/12v is the same thing
you have 3x3.6v gives you 10.6 when fully charged they reach about 20% overvolts so around 13v
are you talking bosch green or blue as they are not compatable

Sponsored Links
i have loads off the 10.8/12v bosch blue its cracking stuff
the more interesting stuff i have is-- jigsaw 'mini saw' mini angle grinder' router are the more interesting stuff
the tools pull above there weight by being geared a bit lower so progress can be a bit slower but compactness and weight they win hands down if space and weight is more important than speed

Last edited:
Bosch 12v is great kit, Roger knows not of what he speaks... you'll happily drive a 6" screw with it. I've also got the 12v circular saw, which is excellent for doing floorboards. Go for it

10.8v Bosch blue impact here. The times it's useful for its small size far out way it being less powerful than 18v.

you'll happily drive a 6" screw with it.

Yes mebbe one.:ROFLMAO:
I usually have a few hundred to drive. And just a few hours to get it done.
Which is why I moved to a 400nm impact wrench.

Bosch blue? A work mate uses it (18v) and he is seriously considering shelving it.
And its so annoying listening to the extended impact racket it makes. I usually give him my kit which he is grateful for.

Last edited:
Yes mebbe one.:ROFLMAO:
I usually have a few hundred to drive. And just a few hours to get it done.
Which is why I moved to a 400nm impact wrench.

Bosch blue? A work mate uses it (18v) and he is seriously considering shelving it.
And its so annoying listening to the extended impact racket it makes. I usually give him my kit which he is grateful for.

An impact wrench has a different action to an impact driver. What are you using and for what purpose?

An impact wrench has a different action to an impact driver
They both use concussive rotational blows to the driver to maximize torque.
The impact wrench with 400nm instead of 200nm just beefs up the mechanism.
My adaptor is busted at the moment so I had to resort to a 150nm tortoise.

Last edited:
Yes mebbe one.

So which is it? 25mm screws and not many of them or maybe one 6" screw?

Every thread about drivers you're in talking crap.

OP, You're best have a look on Youtube at some of the reviews on there of the actual model in action. If you pay too much attention to Roger he'll have you believe you'll need something like this to crack wheel nuts:
mak1609-dtw1001-impact-wrench.jpg

They both use concussive rotational blows to the driver to maximize torque.
The impact wrench with 400nm instead of 200nm just beefs up the mechanism.
My adaptor is busted at the moment so I had to resort to a 150nm tortoise.

An impact driver uses rotational and linear blows. An impact wrench only uses rotational blows to the fastener.

For what its worth - Screwfix (Erbauer) used to supply a 10.8V kit impact driver and drill. Sadly it seems to be discontinued... That was the first Impact driver I used; I found it to be very effective, did 90% of the tasks I asked it to.

To be honest I'd go for a tool that uses the same batteries as what yo have now and learn how to control the impact power. I've settled on one battery type and are now slowley replacing all my tools to the one make. Just makes life easier when batties run out of charge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back