Impact drills with drill bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while back, I purchased a Metabo 12v drill and impact combo. The main reason for the Metabo drill was the fact that my old Festool drill, which had a 90 degree attachment and off-centre attachment has niMh batteries too expensive to justify replacing. The Metabo add ons are so much cheaper.

The 12v drill I am happy with. I have seldom used the 12v impact driver. It was cheaper to purchase the combo.

I have since noticed that various retailers sell drill bits that are being marketed/sold as compatible with impact drivers. In my addled brain that sounds wrong on many levels. Am I correct in assuming that the drill bit will wonder all over the place?

Sponsored Links
never tried it ---never needed too like you i wouldn't think its a good idea as you say sloppy and would think not the best for drill bits very quick or very jerky :unsure:

I have many times.
In places where a normal drill will struggle and grab burning out drill motor, or you risk drill bit grabbing and twisting your wrist yeah. Impact is the way to do it. Mostly with me on 25mm door latch holes drilled in MDF or timber.

Last edited:
I use the milwaukee shockwave impact metal drill bits to pilot hole hard steel beams prior to using TEK screws, works great and saves having to carry a drill as well as an impact, tried the shockwave masonry bits too upto 7mm and they also work great, they are quite stubby and don't wander, i am yet to break a metal bit unlike the normal drill metal bits which i seemed to break quite often.

Sponsored Links
I use my dewalt 18v impact driver for drilling pipe holes in joists
Use dewalt extreme tri flute bits. Absolutely brilliant very quick and no hard pushing.

I use my dewalt 18v impact driver for drilling pipe holes in joists
Use dewalt extreme tri flute bits. Absolutely brilliant very quick and no hard pushing.
yes thats the only reason i could think off 350mm gap not enough room for a hammer drill
but an impact no chuck no gear box or clutch smaller motor impact mechanism nothing more

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back