Drill driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a small project of 40 metres sq to do , but am not sure whether I can do it with a cheap 18V such as Bosch at Screwfix for £90 or a 10.8V Metabo for £130 or a proper 18V Metabo for £189.

The 10.8v drivers are handy and light but lack the power of an 18V one, i.e. 30NM compared with 100NM.

I have a mains drill and an SDS drill so any new one is for screwdriving and drilling into wood.
Any opinions on this well worn topic would be useful.

Sponsored Links
It depends on what size (presumably) screws you are driving and into what and whether or not you intend to pre-pilot the holes. It would help if the team knew a bit more

The construction is single storey blockwork cavity walls, trussed roof (30 trusses, 5 metre span), so the straps and screws for that, not sure what size they are.
To fit door frames, hang doors, fit locks and furniture, electrical fittings, plasterboard screws, three external doors, one set of French doors so the securing straps and screws for that.

I think I am answering my own question, a proper 18V one and maybe a 10.8V one for light work.

Block /cavity walls - SDS (which you already have) to drill 7mm holes for brown plugs. #10 or 5.0mm (metric) screws - 3 to 4in long, so probably a lot better with an 18 volt drill/driver. 1st fixing timberwork (door frames, etc) again 18 volt, as will be any lock mortise drilling. Don't reckon you'll need a super heavy one, though, and form light DIY/trade use a couple of 2Ah batterues should suffice. A heavier duty 10.8/12 volt would probably also do the business, but a bit more slowly

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.
I had a close look at the options. I still struggle to get a good deal on these.
As the overall cost is £130 upwards, and then I am thinking why not buy one with metal gears and a decent chuck for £180?

Each drill requires a charger and one or two batteries, which are fixed costs and the body cost varies according to which one you buy.
E.G. for Makita. DC18RC charger costs £35.
One 4AH battery costs £55.
Then DHP482 costs £37, or DHP458 costs £60 or high powered DHP481 costs £105.
Curiously the sum of the parts is cheaper than a kit.

That said the Dewalt 776D2 with two 2AH batteries costs £100 for a factory refurbished one with a years guarantee.

Last edited:
I'm a Makita 18 volt Li-Ion user and have been for 9 or 10 years: the DHP482 is/ I'm told, the replacement for the DHP456 (which I have) and whilst that is a nice little lightweight drill and is great for piloting holes, driving screws, drilling with a spade bit or running brad point twist bits up to 12mm or so it is limited when it comes to really heavy mortising because it will get bogged down with the larger diameter auger bits 16mm or above) that you tend to need. For that a DHP458 would be better - more torque, more power, metal gears, etc. The DHP481 is AFAIK really a brushless, even gutsier version of the DHP458 - I have a DHP481 and it's a bit of a beast, but boy is it heavy! It will also drill masonry (brick, concrete block) walls almost as fast as a low-end trade 110volt SDS but it will also pilot drill (4.5mm twist bit) through 10mm wall box section steel and run the 5.5mm Tek screws we use and can run hole saws up to 150mm with care and the long handle (a catch can really hurt). I'm just not sure that you'd ever need one. Heck, the only reason I need one is because I'm doing so much really heavy stuff on my current project that there really was no alternative. You really don't want to use either the 458 or the 481 for prolonged periods above your head or for extended periods of screwdriving where you need to support the tool, though, because the weight will hammer your arm.

I had Makita 12 volt stuff in trade use for quite a few years years (NiCd then NiMH) and I managed just fine with that; a colleague of mine now does all his new builds using 12 volt brushless Milwaukee kit - combi drill, SDS and impact driver. For such physically small kit they are really impressive and well worth a look IMHO. Bosch and deWalt also offer some impressive kit in 10.8 volt (which is effectively the same - the "12 volt" thing is marketing hype).

A word of caution about battery technology; Li-Ion batteries have a limited life. Regardless of how you use them they will lose 10 to 12% of their charge capacity every year and at 40 to 50% of original charge capacity (or 5 years) they can start to become a PIA to use, especially the lower amperage ones (2Ah, etc) which will hold effectively no charge, or at least none worth having. Worth bearing in mind when making a decision. Also worth bearing in mind that in future if you want to expand your battery tool kit to include tools such as jigsaws, circular saws, etc the choice of battery (make, range, amperage) may be a lot more significant unless you want to buy more than one battery range, or extra batteries. It was a major part in my decision to go Makita 18volt Li-Ion when I finally did upgrade from 12 volt NiMH

Your comments are interesting to read. The batteries losing their charge capacity per year. Some manufacturers are offering three year guarantees on batteries but it is not common. I am aware that once you commit to one manufacturer then you tend to stick with it and expand to suit the batteries and chargers you have.
I had considered a Makita 482 but probably not now.
I'll scratch my head and see what inspires me.

If the work involves holding or holstering the drill/driver for long periods of time, then you would be better off with a 10.8v unit and batteries as required. They do have enough power for what you want.

on my jeans my bosch blue10.8v will fit 90% in my pocket :D
although the ryobi 18v will mostly fit in my pocket it pulls the jeans down :rolleyes:

B-A, and I thought you was a belt AND braces man :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back