how do i find the transformer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 9 12V halogen capsules in my new house's bathroom and the transformer has just died. The ex-owner has left the country and is unreachable and I can't fine the transfomer.
I have released all of the fittings from the ceiling and have found two distinct end units but no transformer - can anyone tell me if there is a way to find it please?

Sponsored Links
It is suppose to be accessible. It should only be a matter of following the wires. Is there a loft above? Have a look there.
Sometimes its put in a cupboard (maybe airing cupboard nearby)?

Sponsored Links
thanks for all of your replies - there is a loft but the bathroom has a false ceiling. I have found what appear to be the two end lamps and the wiring terminates at each so the transformer must be somewhere inbetween.

As for the question how do I know I assume because there is no light then the transformer has died - is there anything else it could be?

As for the question how do I know I assume because there is no light then the transformer has died - is there anything else it could be?
Of course - it could the bulbs, the bulb connectors, the wiring, or a loose termination.

I have replaced a capsule or two to see if all of the capsules failed at once but can the other things you mentioned fail without any intervention?

what type of wire is at the lights, you can sometimes get a rough idea of the distance to the tran by the type of wire.

I have replaced a capsule or two to see if all of the capsules failed at once but can the other things you mentioned fail without any intervention?
Yes. Anything can fail, at any time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back