How do I fix this wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm brand new to this, and worried I might have made a big mistake already.

A portion of the wall had (ugly) textured wallpaper on it. It was coming up at the edges and I found that most of it tore off pretty easily. I planned to replace it with plain lining paper and a coat of paint.

The problem: I began reading about plasterboard and realized I have no idea what I'm dealing with. Is it plasterboard underneath or has it been skimmed? I can't even figure out how to tell. Most importantly, if it's plasterboard, have I damaged the paper layer of it? And if I haven't, can I paint directly onto the walls (I haven't finished removing all the wallpaper yet, but after that)?

View media item 53181 View media item 53182

Sponsored Links
Are you left with a chalky substance that you can pick through with your finger nail, if so it's the plasterboard core, if its pink and quite tough then its been skimmed.

Sponsored Links
Coat with Zinsser Gardz and see how it comes up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back